RP gets UN assurance of aid in Juan's aftermath PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 21 October 2010 14:04

The United Nations has assured the Philippines of support and assistance in the aftermath of typhoon 'Juan' (international name: 'Megi'), according to Philippine Ambassador to the United Nations Libran Cabactulan.

A DFA statement said the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) assured the Philippine Permanent Mission to the United Nations that it would provide assistance to areas ravaged by the typhoon.

Cabactulan did not indicate what this support means. But according to the DFA statement, OCHA Humanitarian Affairs Officer Alf Ivar Blikberg told Cabactulan that "the OCHA Country Office in the Philippines is already working closely with the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC)."

Juan, a Category 5 typhoon, made a landfall in the northern Luzon province of Isabela on Monday, sparing Metro Manila of its worst aftermath.

Early data from the NDRRMC indicated that 4,614 people were affected over-all.

Having learned from the onslaught of last year’s typhoon 'Ondoy', the Philippines geared against Juan and prepared against the worst of scenarios.

Metro Manila was not as prepared last year when Ondoy brought the area to a standstill and hundreds perished and thousands rendered homeless. Millions in property and agricultural products went down the drain.

The OCHA and other multilateral organizations such as the European Union as well as individual countries such as Japan, the US, France, Germany, Great Britain, even China pledged millions in US dollars to help the Philippines recover from Ondoy.