Sibugay declared ‘conflict-manageable and development- ready” province PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 15 November 2014 11:26

IPIL, Zamboanga Sibugay – Members of the Provincial Peace and Order Council here has approved the joint resolution of the local government unit (LGU), Philippine National Police (PNP), and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) declaring the province as “Conflict-Manageable and Development-Ready,” during its 4th Quarter meeting held at the Conference Room of the Provincial Capitol last Nov. 6.

“I am happy to see you today as we discuss important matters prior to the formal signing and declaration of Zamboanga Sibugay as ‘Conflict-Manageable and Development-Ready’ province on November 26,” Governor Wilter Yap Palma addressed the PPOC members as he presided the meeting.

The good governor also cited the recent release of Jewel Nique, who was kidnapped on July 25, 2014 in Olutanga town, as well as a Chinese national from Kabasalan who was also released last week.

Asked if ransom has been paid to the kidnappers, Governor Palma said he has no knowledge about it. He called on all sectors of society to be vigilant and to report any threats to proper authorities such as the PNP and AFP to preempt any similar incidents.

Col. Ignacio A. Obligacion, commanding officer of the 102nd Infantry “Igsoon” Brigade gave a briefing on the CNN problem and its efforts against communist insurgency, to include the progress of the internal peace and security operations in the province.

He said only Barangay Tampilisan of Kabasalan town remains to be affected, though less influenced by the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP)-New Peoples’ Army (NPA) – National Democratic Front (NDF) or the CNN. This situation is now being addressed by the 44th Infantry Battalion with Bayanihan team activities, according to Obligacion.

On the other hand, PSSupt. Robert Roy V. Bahian, PNP provincial director reported, “With 766 police personnel, and a police to population ratio of 1–865, the province remains peaceful and manageable, a relatively improved peace and order situation from the past years.”

On November 21, 2014, the group of Congressman Rufus Rodriguez who chairs the ad hoc committee of the House of Representatives will be coming over to discuss, deliberate, solicit ideas and review the Bangsamoro Basic Law. “We have to participate in this consultation because this is one big event,” said the governor.

“My only request – as a civilian, as a lawyer, and as head of this province, ‘Let us give peace a chance.’ After all, everyone wants to have lasting peace, then progress would follow,” said Governor Palma.

There will be a busy schedule ahead as dignitaries will be coming over for the BBL consultation on November 21, 2014 and the formal signing of the LGU, PNP, AFP Joint Resolution declaring Zamboanga Sibugay as “Conflict-Manageable and Development Ready” province on November 26, 2014.

Also present during the PPOC meeting were Vice Governor Rey Andre C. Olegario, CSupt. Miguel A. Bernante (Ret), Executive Assistant for Peace and Order and Public Safety, heads of national government agencies and media personalities. — FPG/ALT-PIA9/Zambo Sibugay