39 killed in Barangay, Sangguniang Kabataan poll-related incidents PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 28 October 2010 15:36

The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Tuesday said a total of 39 people were killed and 14 others were wounded in 78 election-related incidents across the country from Sept. 25 to Oct. 25 in connection with the just-concluded synchronized Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan polls.

Police Director Benjamin A. Belarmino, PNP deputy chief for operations, said the 78 violent incidents were culled by the National Election Monitoring and Action Center (NEMAC).

“Although the elections yesterday had been generally peaceful, there were isolated election-related violent incidents reported. But these incidents were insignificant to affect the overall conduct of yesterday’s elections,” Belarmino said in a statement.

Belarmino said election security operations are underway a day after election, particularly in areas where canvassing and counting of votes are still ongoing.

“As I speak, elections are being held in 2,183 areas where elections had been postponed yesterday for some reason or another,” he said.

PNP security forces are under strict instructions to remain in their posts to continue performing their duty until after all election activities had been completed, he said.

To prevent any further escalation of violence, particularly in the countryside, PNP units have stepped-up law enforcement operations against unauthorized firearms and other election law violations.

Belarmino also said that the PNP had confiscated 558 firearms and arrested 671 for violating the gun ban enforced during the election period.