Palace backs UK statement in issuing travel advisories PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 09 November 2010 12:53

Malacañang on Sunday thanked the United Kingdom for not issuing a new travel advisory against the Philippines but instead “added a minor sentence in their advisory to include a few general locations where terrorist attacks may take place,” Presidential Communications and Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma said on Sunday.

In an interview aired over government-run dzRB Radyo ng Bayan, Coloma said the UK’s statement would help international governments reconsider disallowing their citizens from traveling to the Philippines.

“The United Kingdom did not issue a new travel advisory but only added a minor sentence in their advisory to include a few general locations where terrorist attacks may take place,” Coloma said.

He also said that the reiteration of the UK government’s non-issuance of a new travel advisory was based on their “assessment of the overall level of threat in the Philippines,” which it said had not changed for over a year.

“Foreign and Commonwealth Office of UK also underscored that travel advises have to be accurate and sensitive to the needs and perspectives of the Philippines,” Coloma said.

“The DFA welcomes this clarification from the UK government,” he said.

Britain, the United States, France, Australia, New Zealand and Canada last week issued travel advisories against the Philippines due to alleged terrorist attacks that may happen.