Gov't has enough fund for possible evacuation of OFWs from S. Korea --DBM chief PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 01 December 2010 11:13

Department of Budget and Management (DBM) Secretary Florencio Abad assured on Monday that the government has enough fund for the possible evacuation of some 50,000 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in South Korea.

Abad also said that President Benigno S. Aquino III is closely monitoring the situation on the Korean peninsula and if the scenario worsens, the government is ready to evacuate the Filipinos there.

During the security cluster meeting last week on the Korean peninsula situation, Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said one of the possible exit areas for the OFWs is Japan, which is the nearest point.

Lacierda added that the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is now in touch with the Japanese government regarding the plan.

On Sunday, the government clarified that there is no ban on deployment of OFWs to South Korea, saying it only deferred the deployment for a week.

Special Envoy Roy Cimatu, who is in Seoul, has reported that the situation in Seoul remains normal.