Changes in Comelec hierarchy not to affect preparations for ARMM polls PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 01 December 2010 11:16

An official of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) is confident that poll preparations for the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) will not be hampered by the scheduled changes in the commission.

Comelec Commissioner Lucenito Tagle said he was not worried over the anticipated retirement of their two colleagues, Commissioners Nicodemo Ferrer and Gregorio Larrazabal on Feb. 2, 2011.

With their retirements, there will only be four commissioners in the commission, aside from Tagle, the other three are Commissioner Rene Sarmiento, Elias Yusoph and Armando Velasco that would prepare for the said polls on Aug. 8, 2011.

Tagle said that they are beginning their preparations early.

“Nagre-ready na kami (for ARMM elections). In fact, this month of November napag-usapan na namin yan. Meron na kaming supposed guideline or calendar of activities,” he said.

Ferrer also said there were other people that could help the commission to prepare as what they had done in the past.

“I would say so (we can prepare) kasi andyan naman ang senior staff, who are there to back up the commission en banc,” he said.

Aside from the absence of two commissioners, the office of the chairman of the commission will be vacated on Jan. 31, 2011, after Comelec Chairman Jose Melo tendered his resignation early last week.