Entrusting everything to Him PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 12 September 2014 12:01



The health condition of a member of the family required me to spend several days in the last month or so in a local hospital. It was a time of anxiety for me and for my family, a time of  turning to God for strength, a time of awareness of the love and concern shown by friends through their offerings of prayers and support.

The time spent in the waiting area for “watchers” of patients in the ICU and the OR  was also a time of solidarity with the strangers who were going through the same anxious state as we were.

The hospital has a rule that required the family of patients to give up the hospital room while the patient is in the ICU. This policy freed the room which would have been used only by the “watchers”  even if the regular room were to be paid for while the patient was still in the ICU. This policy was particularly important since room occupancy was very high with so many patients sometimes waiting for hours  for rooms to be vacated. Thus we came to spend several days and nights in the common area provided for “watchers” of patients in the ICU and the occasion allowed us to connect as people who shared a common situation.

For me  it was like having a chance to view vignettes in the videotape of the life of a family. One such family was that of the young soldier, only 23 years old, who was hurt in an ambush in Basilan. He came from an ordinary farming family in Zamboanga del Sur. The father told me that his son who was in the ICU and another son joined the army because that was the only way they could make a living and help the family  with their income.  While he worried about the condition of his son who was very seriously wounded in the ambush he said he took comfort knowing that he was being provided all the medical attention he needed. The father said that on their own they would never have been able to afford all the expenses required.

Another family was in the area only for  about two days  and on the 2nd day the patient, the father,  died.  The sadder aspect was that the family was having an internal conflict situation. I learned about the situation since I offered to console a daughter of the patient who had been crying from the time they came into the waiting room. Then the patient’s wife also came in some hours later and in an effort to console her she also confided some of the difficulties in the family. I hope the death of the father  somehow will bring the family together.

During the several days in the waiting area I came to some realizations  that made those days bearable. I was aware that we were blessed in that the cost of the hospitalization was a concern but would not stop us from providing what was needed. The doctors attending to our patient were competent and professional in their interaction with the patient and with us.  And what was a most consoling realization  was that so many people were offering prayers for our patient to successfully hurdle this medical situation that had been sent. And most of all, that I had found calm and peace in trusting to Him whatever the outcome may be.