Why are marriage contracts don’t have expiry dates PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 02 October 2015 13:46

Sound Snipings

BY Jimmy Cabato

MNLF founding chairman Nur Misuari has taken the side of Davao City Mayor that the four Samal Island kidnap victims are now in Sulu, even as police and the military are not convinced of reports that the militant Abu Sayyaf group is behind the September 21 abduction.

Misuari, though from indications, appears certain of his claim, saying he has located the kidnap victims, three foreigners and a Filipina in Sulu province and identified the group behind their abduction.

Speaking positively, this could really be a certainty, “We already know where the kidnap victims are,” said MNLF spokesman Absalom Cerveza quoting Misuari after talking to him by phone. “We are 95 percent sure where they are.” (TMT)

Cerveza, however did not offer any details, .

But earlier on Wednesday a source identified the leader of the kidnappers as Al-Habsi Misaya or Al Bahil, a former member of the Abu Sayyaf Group from Jolo who formed his own gang that now operates in the Zamboanga Sibugay area.

As this theory was first voiced by Duterte this could also be a sure sign of a first hand knowledge of the incident. It could then happen the victims will be safely recovered within the proximity of mid-October, the filing dates of Certificates of Candidacy.

Hero Duterte for President.

* * * *

The bad joke, and you know what, has revived these days. Second time I came across it was from the local camp of Councilor Meng Agan. Third time were some from the media camps.

Branding it as a bad joke, I guess one could tell where my belief lies. There is no truth to gossips Cong. Celso Lobregat tails Mayor Beng Climaco, allegedly by a mile.

Just as what Former Senator Kit Tatad describe SWS and Pulse Asia, these survey handiwork is simply aimed at conditioning the minds of people and build the bandwagon effect.

Moreover, we cannot also tell whether there were indeed surveys made here, who commissioned them, and who released the results. I am in the dark.

In any case, we will know soon, before or within the 12th or 16th of this month. That’s the time, candidates will troop to COMELEC. And it is said that one who fares bad in surveys will surely go for the slot where he/she is found strong.

* * * *

On the lighter side of the news, Monggueh Cabinet Member Quirino Yeo has voiced a complaint in silence. And he seems correct. Quirino says there is one kind of a contract that does suit up to established legal templates. His contention - all agreements are known to have no open-ended time frames. All are reputed to have specific time limits that are subject to renewal.

His complaint - Why are marriage contracts devoid of expiration dates?

Then again, you be the better judge.

Still on the lighter side of events. The Monggueh cabinet has just named its vice chairman. He is Michael Chiong of the renowned Joan’s Pharmacy and Pacific Hardware empire. He was jointly nominated by Alex Wee and George Yeo, and was elected unanimously.

Those who rub elbows with Michael nowadays are awed of his changed ways. From the rough, tough-talking person, he now is a meek sweet-talking being. And who spreads bible teachings daily.

One other thing, a new member in the cabinet was sworn in yesterday, he is Edgar Chua, an associate of the Luzon Copra enterprise.

* * * *

Except for Sens. Antonio Trillanes IV and Allan Peter Cayateno, the other vice presidentiables are keeping their cards close to their chest.

One such man is Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has simply announced is running for higher office in next year’s elections. But for exactly what office, is yet unknown. The other is Rep. Leni Robredo of Camarines Sur.

Very recently, however, observers were prone to believe Marcos is setting his eyes now on the VP slot, when he hinted that his camp is almost done with talks with Vice President Jejomar Binay.

Added to that, the young Marcos also telegraphed a message that he is gunning for the vice presidency, when he said, “In my case, I think we are headed in that direction. We are now presently talking about VP [Vice President],” (TMT), admitting that he is in “high-level talks” directly with VP Binay.

Recall, Binay earlier said Marcos is among those being considered to be his running mate in 2016.

He added, however, that he is also in discussions with people identified with Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte.

* * * *

No wonder, it was recently reported that President Benigno Aquino III and Budget Secretary Florencio Abad supposedly had a shouting match right in the halls of Malacañang.

We get it that while the president has been cleared of charges arising from the alleged irregular release of P393.7 million from the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) between 2011 and 2012, Abad and his undersecretary, Mario Relampagos, are facing preliminary investigation for technical malversation and administrative charges in connection with the same.

The probe came about after the Ombudsman’s Field Investigation Office (FIO) completed gathering facts on the use of the DAP funds, and Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales has approved the FIO’s investigation report.

That must have infuriated Abad for PNoy had seemingly moved solely for his liberty, leaving Abad, the scapegoat.

On PNoy’s outright exoneration from the charges, the FIO found accusations against him as not amounting to an impeachable offense, TMT reported quoting a source.

In the reported shouting match, Abad was quoted to have alleged to this effect, “You knew of this all along. You approved it and the money was used to ensure the impeachment of then Supreme Court Justice Renato Corona.

The FIO probe arose from two complaints filed against Abad by the Kabataan party-list and lawyer Bonifacio Alentajan.

* * * *

From the ways things look, the Duterte-Cayetano is a done deal. The Cayetano announcement was made in Davao City, a Duterte bailiwick; and the two (2) had met over dinner. If ithe meeting was before or after the announcement was made is not clear.

Still and all, Duterte plays possum, with Cayetano saying he is willing to wait.

And if it is for the safe release of the Samal hostages, it would not take long.

Last Updated on Friday, 02 October 2015 13:54