Politics is truly strange PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 07 October 2015 10:50

Sound Snipings

BY Jimmy Cabato

Talks of a possible reconciliation between Cong. Celso Lobregat and Mayor Beng has seemingly collapsed, so say a close following of the latter.

And to my observation, the camp of Celso is apparently busy building up his party line-up.

Yesterday, I was told he had announced four of LDP’s new choices. Among them is Baliwasan 2-termer and sitting Barangay Captain, Jaime “Boday” Cabato”, my son who late evening of Sunday excitedly woke me from sleep to announce he is one of LDP’s selected bets. I still vividly see his enthusiasm. Good luck and power up, man. Our entire family is fully behind you. Having served more than eight (8) years in both the legislative and executive arms of the barangay, your decision to move up is well thought of.

Publicly, I extend my gratitude to Celso and his party for continuing to put their trust in the Cabatos. And this I state, I am very sure you were not one bit a part of the machinations to cheat me of victory in the last polls.

* * * *

I repeat what I blurted out yesterday. “Politics is truly strange. Only yesterday VP Jejomar Binay, UNA presidential bet, himself said a Binay-Marcos tandem was almost a done deal.”

Later, it was reported that a Binay-Honasan team was finalized, paving the way for what Honasan kidded, as a Bi-Hon tie-up. And later Binay offered a change to the monioker from Bi-Hon to Bin-Go. See?

Presto. Today reports says, Camarines Sur Rep. Leni Robredo finally agreed to be the running mate of Liberal Party standard bearer Manuel Roxas 2nd, and was declared as such. She guns for the vice presidential slot..

Robredo, a lawyer and widow of then DILG Secretary Jesse Robredo joined politics following the untimely death of her husband who was killed in a plane crash in 2012.

She fought for the congressional seat of Camarines Sur’s 2nd district in the 2013 elections, defeating Nelly Favis Villafuerte,. A newspaper columnist and former Monetary Board member .

Earlier, Robredo rejected the idea, claiming she’s inexperienced for the position and cited her children’s vehement opposition to her bid.

* * * *

Poor Gringo. Just as he started showing true interest in the VP post which was announced to already be his, this Robredo development comes to fore. Read on. “SENATOR Gregorio Honasan 2nd doesn’t anymore see his nomination as Vice President Jejomar Binay’s running mate as a bad joke. The EDSA hero turned rebel turned senator told reporters on Monday he is now open to such possibility.” (TMT)

* * * *

Then again, contrary to my spilled out guess that he is forced to run for president, this move surfaces, Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. announced Monday he will seek vice presidency in 2016 and will support Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte if he decides to run for President.

Marcos served as governor, vice governor and congressional representative of Ilocos Norte. His initial attempt to get a Senate seat in 1995 ended in a failure. He however, was among the winners in the 2010 senatorial race.

Earlier on, in a statement posted on his website, Marcos has dispelled a team-up with presidential aspirant Vice President Jejomar Binay because of “political differences.”

And while, Marcos added, that all these talks of teaming up with certain leading presidential candidates were mere speculations, there just could be some twists sometime somewhere.

So hold on to your reins, folks. Politics is strange really. Anything can happen between now and the 16th of October, last for filing of Certificates of Candidacy.

What with the latest talk that Sen. Cayetano is not yet the anointed VP bet of Mayor Duterte.

I bet you, there will be realignments.

While Duterte spoke of the supposed invincibility of Sen. Cayetano, it was reported that he had also said he is supporting Marcos in his vice presidential bid. See the uncertainties of politics? Everything is volatile.

* * * *

“Manila Auxiliary Bishop Broderick Pabillo on Sunday said what took place in that party was lewd, showing the dark side of traditional politicians or “trapos” who would do anything to get public attention.

Pabillo stressed that the President, by virtue of “command responsibility” as titular head of the LP, should apologize to the people.”

In view thereof, the prelate said, the LP should apologize, and so should the President.

Similarly, the church authority said former Interior Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas and Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Francis Tolentino should also ask for forgiveness from the public  as both were present at the party.

He described the activity as done in bad taste, instead of boosting their dignity, they degraded themselves because of those shows, coming as it did from the country’s top leaders.

Prior to the show, Roxas, the LP standard-bearer, presided over the oath-taking of new LP members where MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino, one of the LP’s named senatorial candidates, allegedly provided the sexy dancers as  gift to birthday celebrant, Rep. Benjamin Agarao Jr.

The lewd show, where even minors were reported to be present, went viral on social media, with videos uploaded on Facebook showing three scantily clad women simulating sexual acts with men on stage.

The prelate’s call was supported by the youth group Partido Manggagawa-Kabataan (PMK), saying Tolentino and Agarao should stop their “insincere denials.”

Amid all this Pres. Aquino, chairman of the ruling Liberal Party, maintains that he sees no need to apologize for the “stag party” that LP members had in Laguna on Thursday. And this matter infuriated Filipino netizens into starting an online petition on Saturday.

Also, a labor organization demanded the resignation of LP officials involved in the stag party where a group of dancers, called Playgirls, performed a vulgar dance with LP members on stage during said birthday.

* * * *

Atty. Dodot Dulay, in his column today hit the nail right on its head when he said, the “… shame of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s inhuman ordeal under the administration of Benigno BS Aquino 3rd goes on, waiting for intervention and closure from this nation’s basic decency and moral sense.”

He said, the news last week that the Court of Appeals affirmed last September a decision by a Pasay city Regional Trial Court (RTC) allowing President Arroyo to post bail in the electoral sabotage case filed against her, prodded him, to hail the decision.

Now, if you recall, in this corner, I said the grant of bail as what Sen. Juan Ponce rightfully merited was the order of the day.

Dulay expressed belief that will lead to her swift  release on bail.

“But before the Arroyo family could fully digest the news, the administration, on instructions from the Palace, swiftly scrambled to dampen public enthusiasm and stop the wheels of justice from rolling. It announced that GMA will still remain under hospital arrest because of another case which she is still facing.

This is the plunder case filed against her by the Office of the Ombudsman for allegedly mishandling Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) funds.”

In said case, Arroyo allegedly took part in a conspiracy to defraud PCSO. But strangely, it happens all of her alleged conspirators have already been let off the hook and freed. In addition, the principal witness, an Aquino appointee to the PCSO, has admitted under oath that she has no proof whatever to implicate Arroyo.

However, Dulay points out, even with the evident collapse of the case, Arroyo was not allowed to post bail or summarily freed by the graft court.