Bigotry in action or so it seems PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 10 November 2015 13:40

Sound Snipings

BY Jimmy Cabato

Look nowhere else. The blame for the market tragedy is right before our noses.

If the report is true, culpability lies directly in the hands of the City Chief Executive.

And this corner was right all the time. On the tragic market conflagration, Acting City Administrator Elmeir Apolinario is a scapegoat. A volunteer scapegoat or a coerced one, I cannot tell. But aware of his allegiance to superiors, I’d venture saying, utilizing a different term, — a sacrificial lamb.

The way things stand, how can my compadre Elmeir be held accountable, for it has turned out, according to a friend who just came in that Sai Cortez and Nonong Santiago had bumped in to an intriguing twist of development.

Over Radyo Brigada the duo was reportedly heard announcing that before the blaze, City Hall had stripped the administrative and supervisory responsibilities of the market from the City Administrator’s Office due to Apolinario’s dual role as ZCRRMDC chief, and allegedly arrogating the same all to itself.

O, ha, Now, you know!

* * * *

On the sides, Dist. 2 Councilor Rommel S. Agan bats for a review of the city’s market ordinance in a move to put more teeth to it to forestall a repeat of the Oct. 31 fire tragedy that resulted to the death of 15 persons and injuries to 13.

Agan, a CPA-lawyer specifically mentioned the particular provision in the market code disallowing persons to turn their spaces in to sleeping quarters.

On the sides, the youthful city legislator expressed utter disgust in that some unprincipled politicians are deviously riding on the issue, blending in political color, when lives have been lost, scores injured and millions of pesos lost.

He said, the council will surely look in to what he termed as a fiasco

Meanwhile, Jun Feliciano reports, a top CH source has cautioned unnamed certain quarters out to unduly meddle in the ongoing probes sanctioned only by the gov’t., lest they’ll be lay on the line in the process.

The same source warned them of a backlash should they continue meddling.

* * * *

How true is it, the Aquino government is allegedly persecuting Christian schools So, it is written “ZT’s Life’s Inspirations”

The writer contends, the Aquino government, should be doing all it can to help Christian schools to thrive and to succeed in their operations. But unfortunately, the writer decries, the education officials of the Aquino government are allegedly doing the reverse.

Instead of helping the Christian schools, the Aquino government is allegedly persecuting them. In the same article, it stated, “the Department of Education under Catholic priest Bro. Armin Luistro, is refusing to honor the special permit given by then Sec. Gloria to the Christian schools for them to operate, excluding them from its list of accredited schools. What is more, the DepEd is refusing to recognize the graduates of these Christian schools.” (ZT)

He lamented, there are Philippines edicts, including provisions of the Constitution itself, that safeguard the teaching of religion to elementary and high school students, yet Luistro discriminates against Born Again Christian schools, and disallows their operation, when the previous DepEd sec. Gloria had already been granted permits.

Bigotry in action or so it seems.

* * * *

Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte is at it again

“For the sake of the oppressed, he might just run for president,” says he. (PhilStar)

Expressing disgust on what he said as the way Filipinos are oppressed and are being treated.

And in his plan to finally run, he mentioned about replacing PDP-LABAN’s Martin Diño. But is that still possible?

Incidentally, this corner has earlier posted this on facebook, “One question that I wish to solicit an answer. With PDP-LABAN’s Martin Diño reported to have mistakenly filed his CoC as for Pasig mayor, is there anyone left for Mayor Duterte to substitute as presidential bet?”

That is the 64-dollar question at the moment.

* * * *

Residents of Leyte and neighboring towns and cities grievingly commemorated the 2nd anniversary of the Typhoon Yolanda devastation.

On Panay Island, some 9,200 typhoon survivors and their supporters joined the activities marking the second anniversary.

In Roxas City, at least 5,000 joined the rally; in Capiz, 3,200 in Iloilo and 1,000 in Aklan.

With this magnitude of distressed Filipinos, President Noynoy Aquino, seen as further displaying insensitivity to grieving “bosses” was reported to still have the temerity of shunning the rites.

* * * *

Consternation over government over-delay in looking after the plight of super typhoon Yolanda victims with the passing of 2 years continue to mount.

Lawmakers joined in slamming what they called government’s continuing criminal negligence, with hundreds of thousands still waiting for rehabilitation and large portions of Eastern Visayas devastated.

The government must be held liable for the slow pace of rehabilitation, according to Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares, specifically learning from the Commission on Audit (COA) that more than P1 billion meant for storm victims remain unspent and earning interest in various banks.

This predicament even prompted foreign diplomats to admit that they decided not to channel P15.77 billion in financial donations through the Philippine government and opted instead to use their own network to undertake relief and rehabilitation operations in the Yolanda-devastated provinces.

And that’s not all there is to it, at a press conference in Patio Victoria in Tacloban City, the trio of vice presidential candidate Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and his cousins, senatorial candidate Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez and Tacloban Mayor Alfred Romualdez jointly repeated their demand for the administration to account for the congress-approved P180 billion earmarked for post-Yolanda rehabilitation.

“Marcos expressed dismay that after two years, only 7 percent or 17,000 of the needed 250,000 homes were built for families living in high-risk zones.” (TMT)

He also expressed doubts of government claims that it has accomplished 51 percent of its goal for the rehabilitation of areas devastated by Yolanda, reasoning it had barely carried out the master plan drafted by former Senator Panfilo Lacson.

The young Marcos, belied government’s claim of 51 percent completion of the rehabilitation needs, saying that by government’s own admission, the permanent housing figures, is less than 10 percent.

* * * *

The fate of Sen. Grace Poe’s presidential qualification as a natural born Filipino will be known next week, as the Senate Electoral Tribunal (SET) is set to issue its decision on the disqualification she is facing by then.

Based on news reports I am given the impression that Poe is a naturalized citizen anmd may be disqualified as a candidate. Added to that, Poe has yet to hurdle her residency status that she also faces in another forum. It is said, she is shy of two months to complete the ten-year requirement period to run for president.

In the end though, it is the SET members who will decide.

Thus as a cliff-hanger, you might be interested in knowing the composition of the SET. Here it is, six senators – Loren Legarda, Pia Cayetano, Bam Aquino, Cynthia Villar, Nancy Binay and Vicente Sotto III; and three magistrates of the Supreme Court –Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio and Associate Justices Teresita Leonardo-de Castro and Arturo Brion.

With that composition, this corner would not venture a guess. Would you?