What else and who else? PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 25 November 2015 11:21

Sound Snipings

BY Jimmy Cabato

Good news for government workers. The “Salary Standardization Law of 2015” that will substantially raise their monthly pay is expected to bed passed in its third and final reading soon as congress resumes sessions this week.

Speaker Feliciano “Sonny” Belmonte Jr., Mandaluyong City Rep. Neptali “Boyet” Gonzales II, and Leyte Rep. Martin Romualdez have committed to work for the Lower Chamber’s passage of the bill.

Believing that his colleagues would attend the plenary session to push for the passage of House Bill 6268, Belmonte said, he is .confident they can approve it within the week, adding that they will exhaust all means to ensure that the SSL 2015 will be immediately passed.

As things stand, based on Belmonte’s statements, is lack of quorum they resume session. All other requisites, he said, are in place.

“We are committed to pass this very important legislation to extend “malasakit” (concern) to our state workers. They really need economic relief to decently support their basic needs,” Romualdez said. (MB)

The salary increase will benefit low-level and middle-level employees like teachers and nurses.

He also said, they should further examine the measure by pushing for higher increase than the proposal offers, reasoning out, these workers need better pay the most.

The reduction of the performance-based bonus will work to generate funds to support basic salary so as to extend more “malasakit” to our ordinary workers.

* * * * *

For a while, this corner thought, US President Barack Obama has softened up on his stand in fighting terrorism, when this saw print in the Mania Bulletin, “Obama warns against overreaction to Islamic State attacks” - Headline

But went on, trying to reassure a nation on edge, and said the Islamic State group “cannot strike a mortal blow” against the US, and warned that overreacting to the Paris attacks would play into extremists’ hands.

Boldly he vowed, “We will destroy this terrorist organization.”

Returning from a trip to Asia, Obama implored Americans not to let the specter of terror cause them to compromise their values or change their way of living.

Obama added, Americans “do not succumb to fear, and that the most powerful tool we have to fight ISIL is to say that we’re not afraid, to not elevate them, to somehow buy into their fantasy that they’re doing something important.”

True enough, Obama’s earlier statements had earlier on come under repeated questioning. But all these may have been erased with his most recent pronouncements, such as calling the IS a bunch of killers with good social media and dismissing the group’s global prowess, in the same breath, rejecting the notion of an existential threat,

Obama concluded, “… the IS can’t beat us on the battlefield, so they try to terrorize us into being afraid.”

* * * * *

Just another brief respite from serious thinking. It’s another red-letter day for the Monggueh Cabinet today, as only yesterday heavyweight Kingkong’s wife Jocelyn and daughter Princess celebrated their natal day.

Today, Vice-Chairman Michael Chiong, one of the heirs of empirical Joan’s Pharmacy and Pacific Harfdware, is celebrating his,too.

Michael, happy happy birthday. From the entire cabinet, Muah muah, Chupchup.

* * * * *

Sen. Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III, president of the PDP-Laban appears certain, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte could substitute PDP-Laban’s Martin Diño.

A bar topnotcher Pimentel, without giving reasons simply said that in order to make Duterte’s candidacy official, the mayor needs to file his own certificate of candidacy for President, attaching the party’s nomination to Martin Diño’s COC, who recently withdrew as standard-bearer of the party.

“We will do it step by step, he (Duterte) still has until December 10 (to file his own COC),” the senator matter-of-factly added.” (TMT)

But here are the contravening factors. President Benigno Aquino III on Monday expressed doubts that Duterte could still join the presidential derby.

He said, a story came out that the PDP-Laban candidate, Martin Dino filed for mayor instead of President. So can he file?, he asked.

But Aquino himself, has his own doubts that are contrary to his thoughts, for he had said, the Duterte camp says they can, claiming it’s not document but the intent that matters.

The president truly appears unsure of his stand, as he added, some sectors would ask if the Comelec would give Duterte special accommodation because he was given an extension to file his candidacy; and “there’s a deadline for filing and now all of a sudden he can file after that period,”

Truly a confusing situation. So, here’s a quote from this corner’s words that saw print here the other day, “Ergo, in the end, friends, Pres. Aquino, via his controlled COMELEC will have the final say .. . What else and who else?”

Whatever, let’s just the same go on with comments from legal mind - Election lawyer Romulo Macalintal on Wednesday said Duterte’s eventual move to become the substitute presidential candidate of the PDP-Laban could face problems.

Macalintal raised at least two issues involving Diño’s candidacy.”

First, the apparent error in Diño’s certificate of candidacy, which indicates that he is running for mayor of Pasay City (Metro Manila).

As that is the case, Macalintal questioned how they would substitute Mayor Duterte for Diño.

Second issue the noted lawyer sees is the Comelec law department’s reported plan to consider Diño as a nuisance candidate.

Diño’s withdrawal has yet to be ruled on by Comelec, and also still decide on Diño’s questioned status as a nuisance candidate.

If Diño is declared a nuisance bet, his COC, according to Macalintal will then be considered null and void, he added.

* * * *

This bit of item just may necessarily give weight to Aquino’s position in the Duterte glitch, as he is backing the presidential bid of ex-DILG Mar Roxas.

It is now ballyhooed, the entry of Duterte into the 2016 presidential race is a game changer as he is likely to take votes away from Liberal Party standard bearer Manuel Roxas II and hurt survey frontrunner Senator Grace Poe, political analysts say.

Ramon Casiple, executive director of the Institute for Political and Electoral Reform, analyzes that Duterte may not necessarily come out winner, but contends (Duterte) is a game changer because the votes will now be spread around and one candidate will lose votes more than the others.

Casiple predicts, it is Mar Roxas who will really suffer from this development. He continues, in previous surveys, Roxas was in the third spot while Duterte was in the fourth. Now, if Duterte performs well, he can easily dislodge Mar for the third spot,” he added.

Casiple said Roxas’ bailiwick - the Visayas -will likely go for Duterte, who is also very popular among Mindanao-based voters. but is unlikely for Duterte to dislodge Poe because she is already “too high” in recent surveys.

So, along that line, it is clear to see to where Aquino will lean..

On the other, Antonio Contreras, the political science professor from De La Salle University who filed a disqualification case against Poe before the Commission on Elections, is sharing a different view. Without explaining why, he said Duterte’s entry could also change the votes in the Senate Electoral Tribunal that recently dismissed a separate petition filed by Rizalito David to oust her from the Senate on questions about her citizenship.

And there is yet, one other angle, as what was quoted of Comelec Chair Andres Bautista earlier, the substitution must come hand in hand with the withdrawal. And Diño has withdrawn sans a consummated Duterte substiution.

So, what do you, folks conclude?

Simply this space maintains. Based on the foregoing scenarios, this corner re-echoes this line, “Ergo, in the end, friends, Pres. Aquino, via his controlled COMELEC will have the final say .. . What else and who else?”