Fleeting thoughts and passing fancy PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 03 February 2016 11:05

Sound Snipings

BY Jimmy Cabato

Happy fiesta to our Sta. Maria neighbors. It’s fiesta time there.

* * * *

True enough if complaining tricycle commuters would just keep mum on their disgust, who can ever prosecute erring drivers.

Thus, the Tricycle Adjudication Board (TAB) keeps calling on the public, even if only through the use of the social media to formally file their complaints against erring tricycle drivers before their TAB office.

In the face of numerous protests aired thru the media, including silent ones, the TAB announced its intensified drive against violations of the tricycle ordinance, particularly on overcharging and refusal to ferry passengers on account of failed fare bargainings.

In spite of the lack of personnel and resources, the TAB daily attends to all complaints brought to its attention, to include those reaching out on-line in a bid to rid the city of abusive drivers and operators.

Complaints made through the social media, however, may encounter some delay for the lack of required information and such other details.

In view thereof, the TAB headed by City Legal Officer Atty. Jesus Carbon urged that people who express their frustrations on line, specifically through Facebook, had better be encouraged/asked to visit their TAB office to make proper complaints.

Nonetheless, he said, the TAB still tries to reach out to those who vent their ire through social media, to follow up on the need information and details, such as identity of the alleged erring tricycle drivers as well as their plate and/or  franchise numbers for them to take the appropriate actions therefrom.

Another difficulty for complaints could be time, as part of the process in resolving complaint is the face to face confrontation between the complainant, the tricycle driver and the tricycle operator at the TAB office.

Also the TAB requested the Mayor to deputize, through the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), police stations and barangay tanods to help in the campaign against erring drivers in coordination with the Office of the City Administrator. (With DZT clips)

* * * *

Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile is hot on the warpath. His latest move saw him mock President Benigno Aquino III  saying he was stupid for depending on incompetent officers to lead the Mamasapano operation in January last year, and for being the first Philippine president to abandon his troops to be slaughtered.

It will be noted the President has consistently blamed dismissed Special Action Force commander Getulio Napeñas for the deaths of the 44 police commandos in Mamasapano, calling him stupid and incompetent.

But Enrile said in a radio interview on dzBB that it was the President who was stupid for depending on someone he later considered incompetent.

He also blasted the President for keeping his Cabinet and the military in the dark about the operation to neutralize two high-profile terrorists.

“He took it upon himself. He thought he could do it, but he was incompetent,” Enrile said in Filipino.

In planning the covert police operation to get Malaysian  terrorist Zulkifli bin Hir alias Marwan and local bomb maker Basit Usman, Enrile said the President did not even talk to his Cabinet.

Instead, he deliberately compartmentalized Oplan Exodus to himself, then suspended PNP chief Alan Purisima, and Napeñas.

In so doing , he hid his involvement behind Purisima, Enrile said.

In last week’s reopening of the Mamasapano investigation, Enrile said the President could be held criminally liable for his actions - and inaction - during the Mamasapano massacre.

He will be charged the moment he stepped down. That’s for sure,” Enrile said. (With PDI accounts)

* * * *

An arrest warrant has been issued against Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV.

Makati City by RTC Judge Dina Teves, who found probable cause to try Trillanes penned the warrant in connection with the  libel case filed against him by dismissed Makati City Mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr.

The senator was slapped with the libel complaint for alleging that two justices of the Court of Appeals (CA) received P50 million in exchange for the issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) stopping implementation of a suspension order against the mayor, in his complaint described Trillanes’ allegations as malicious, further saying Binay, Trillanes could not invoke parliamentary immunity because he made the baseless allegations outside Congress.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) said policemen will arrest Trillanes once the police agency gets a copy of the warrant.

And as soon as Congress goes on a break next week, Trillanes loses a legislator’s immunity from arrest. Only when he posts bail will he not be jailed.

As of the moment, however, Trillanes is said to be abroad. (With TMT reports)

* * * *

For Vice President, Mandaluyong is going for  Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.

Thus bared Mayor Benjamin “Benhur” Abalos Jr. as he publicly endorsed the candidacy of Marcos.

Marcos, he said, as chairman of the Senate Committee on Local Government, championed the cause of local government units.

He particularly cited the recently-approved barangay (village) benefits bill that the senator authored and sponsored, adding in Pilipino, that if he gets elected, he will do a lot more.

He said, being trusted in the past 20 years, then trust him to choose the country’s next Vice President, Senator For his part, Marcos who was guest in Mandaluyong” “Handog Pasasalamat said, he pushed for the approval of barangay benefits bill to recognize the dedication and sacrifices of village officials and workers who continue to render service despite their meager allowances.

The approved measure, awaiting the signature of the President to become a full-pledged law, provides a retirement pay of P100,000 for each qualified barangay chairman, P80,000 for members of Sangguniang Barangay, and P50,000 each for the barangay treasurer and secretary, barangay tanod, member of the LuponngTagapamayapa and barangay health and daycare workers.

The two main requirements are, they have reached the age of 60 and had served for three (3) terms.

* * * *

Pres. BS may now kiss his coveted dream of snatching a Nobel Peace Price. Not only has he failed in his frantic bid to pass  flawed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), but with the approaching end of nomination for awardees, his name is not on the list of nominees for this year.

Pope Francis’ name is, along with a woman who champions the rights of Islamic State rape victims, and the Afghan women’s cycling team

The five-member Norwegian Nobel Committee typically receives more than 200 nominations for the prestigious prize, and keeps candidates secret for 50 years. Panel members can make their own nominations during their first judging meeting on Feb. 29.

* * * *

As to who has easy and ready access to the pork barrel funds is of common knowledge of course. Right?

The President. Who else.

Now, there can be no doubt then Sen. Grace Poe is targeting the president on her revelation. Read on. Some candidates in the May elections, she says are raising campaign funds through the illegal drug trade.

And she reasoned that that is because sources of quick money have become limited with the abolition of the pork barrel system.

Tough talk indeed. In that case, the honeymoon is off again, and Mar Roxas is back safe as LP-anointed.

Quoting my cousin Jet, those are just fleeting thoughts and passing fancy as that’s beyond the point in this issue.

Rewind, so they say. In a roundtable talk with The STAR editors and reporters, Poe warned that narco-politics has gained a foothold in the country and might influence the elections in May.

Poe, as chair of the Senate committee on public order and dangerous drugs, issued the warning on the eve of the first hearing on an attempted break-in at a radio station in Iloilo City, allegedly by men linked to drugs.

“If there’s a rise in the incidents of violence and the sale of drugs during this time, you cannot help but associate that with perhaps campaign funds,” Poe was quoted.

She insisted still, “corrupt officials and wannabe politicians have lost steady sources of funds with the abolition of the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), which was the official term for pork barrel.

Then again, to who has the easiest and ready access to the pork barrel funds is of common knowledge of course.

The President. Who else.

Now, there can be no doubt then Sen. Grace Poe is targeting the president.

Of fleeting thoughts and passing fancy...