Anti-drug war PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 25 August 2016 14:15

Sound Snipes

BY Jimmy Cabato

El maga pushers/users aqui hende pa gat ta man dalah? (Pushers/users here, still would not learn their lesson?) The police campaign versus Illegal is going on unrelentingly.

That they should mark on their heads. Their days are numbered.

Reported recently were arrests last Sunday in separate drug bust operations carried out by men of the Culianan Police Station, who invade, though with proper coordination with concerned colleagues, barangays out of their AOR (Area of Operation).

Around 5:50 p.m. Chief Insp. Elmer Solon and his men, swooped down in Bulahan Drive, Baliwasan that led to the arrest of Ayatulla Ijin y Amilhasan, 36, married, of 5th Street, Southcom Village, Calarian. Confiscated from his possession were a sachet of shabu (buy-bust item) and five other sachets of shabu, marked money and drug paraphernalia. Hand in hand were operatives of Police Station 11.

Around 7:10 p.m. Solon and his men with agents from PDEA and Coast Guard Intelligence Force in coordination with Tetuan Police Station conducted a buy-bust operation at Angeles Drive, Talon-Talon that led to the arrest of Akramar Aliuddin y Asmawil, alias Tangkad, 22, married of Locson Drive, Talon-Talon. Confiscated from his possession were a sachet of shabu (buy-bust item), two large size sachets of shabu with estimated market value of P106,000 and marked money.

After arresting Aliuddin, the same team launched a follow-up operation at the compound of Hadji Nerjan Asul y Aliuddin where Abet Aliuddin y Esang, father of Akramar surrendered and turned over to the police seven different size sachets containing shabu with estimated value of P212,500 and a digital weighing scale.

Along with his son, Abet was also detained at the police. (With DZT reports)

* * * *

Congressman CelsoLobregat is moving to further show appreciation for Rio Olympics Silver Medalist Hidilyn Diaz, a Zamboangueña. He initiated a move in Congress to raise funds as additional incentive for Diaz.

And Lobregat said the members of the House of Representatives has invited Diaz in their regular session this week to receive House Resolution No. 175, commending Hidilyn for what she has done for the country. Lobregat is heading the preparations to welcome Hidilyn in Congress.

He added, House Speaker Bebot Alvarez has acceded to his request of congressmen for voluntary contributions from their own pockets and, in fact, - second to him - himself pledged an amount in a manifesto of support to Hidilyn for bringing honor to Zamboanga City and the country as whole.

Lobregat also said over a hundred Congressmen of the 209-member chamber had already signed and pledged an amount for the purpose.

The 17th Congress has 290 members and Lobregat said he intend to let everybody sign his proposal.

“We are doing this to help and inspire Hidilyn and other athletes in the country to aspire more and be like Hidilyn and give honor to our country,” Lobregat said. (With TZ feeds)

* * * *

President  Rodrigo Duterte is still hot in his fight with Sen. Leila de Lima.

Duterte bared on Tuesday, De Lima, a former Justice secretary, and former undersecretary Francisco Baraan 3rd are among the highest public officials in a “matrix” of personalities involved in the illegal drug trade at the New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa, President Rodrigo .

In a news conference in Malacañang, he announced releasing the drug matrix in the coming days.

“There is also a governor and you know, he’s my friend, I could not believe it … There’s a governor and an undersecretary,” he added.

While not naming the governor, President did not name the governor but confirmed that the undersecretary is Baraan.

Baraan served as the supervisor of the Bureau of Corrections and the New Bilibid Prison during the previous administration.

Duterte first mentioned in July the supposed matrix showing the drug links of mayors and police officers.

The President is also expected to reveal soon another list of government officials involved in the illegal drug trade.

* * * *

The Supreme Court on Tuesday issued a 20-day period Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) on the planned burial of former President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, handing an initial victory to critics of the late strongman and human rights victims.

Oral arguments, originally set on Wednesday, were reset to August 31 at 10 a.m.

Also, the high tribunal granted the request of the Supreme Court Public Information Office to livestream the audio of the oral arguments, “subject to the usual conditions and restrictions imposed.”

Now, here is the thorny twist of the situation. Associate Justice Alfredo Benjamin Caguioa was appointed to write the ponente or main decision. He is also handling the election protest filed by former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. against Vice President Maria Leonor “Leni” Robredo.

As a result, Caguioa will be handling cases involving the Marcos father and son in the high court.

Caguioa is in a tricky situation, being a former classmate and Justice Secretary-appointee of former President Benigno Aquino 3rd, whose family is at odds with the Marcoses.

And that classmate fact is no joke. He and Aquino were classmates not only once and in one school. They were  classmates from elementary, high school and to college.

Can you beat that?

Meanwhile, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana had issued a memorandum, dated August 7, informing Armed Forces Chief of Staff General Ricardo Visaya of the verbal orders of President Duterte on July 11 regarding Marcos’ burial at the military-owned cemetery. Remembering it right, the verbal order is for full military honors and the 21-gun salute gun befitting a former president.

* * * *

Why would anyone complain about lawmen killing criminals. Look over this development. At the resumption of the Senate hearing on extrajudicial killings, PNP Chief Director General Ronald Dela Rosa said law enforcers are also victims in the government’s intensified campaign against illegal drugs.

“Our own people are also victims, they are also killed. This is just to illustrate that there is indeed a clear danger on the lives of our men in the operations against illegal drugs,” Dela Rosa told senators.

Citing latest PNP figures, De la Rosa said nine police operatives and three soldiers have already been killed and an over-all 25 personnel wounded in anti-drug operations.

“This is just to illustrate that there is indeed a clear danger on the lives of our men in the operations against illegal drugs,” he emphasized using a Power Point presentation.

And while the war on illegal drugs may be vicious, but police on the frontlines are not butchers who kill senselessly, Philippine National Police chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa told a Senate hearing yesterday.

“We’re not killers. We’re not butchers who kill people for no reason at all,” Dela Rosa told senators as he defended his men from allegations they were resorting to summary executions as part of the Duterte administration’s intensified war against drug pushers.

He said policemen are not perfect and can commit mistakes. But he said he is convinced a majority of Filipinos support the Duterte administration’s war against drugs.

WS is in conformity there with Bato.

Dela Rosa repeated they were sticking to their target of drastically reducing illegal drugs in the country in six months despite severe lack of personnel and equipment.

* * * *

Senators, Sen. Joseph Victor Ejercito and Panfilo Lacson are saying the right things. The latter expressed his concern that the Senate probe may cause the government’s anti-illegal drugs campaign to lose momentum.

For his part, Ejercito said, “I’m just worried and I am hoping that this would not hamper or stop the momentum of the Philippine National Police and other agencies in the war against drugs,”

“You know, it’s only now. This is unprecedented because I have been a mayor myself for nine years, and this is the first time… that the PNP is gaining so much ground in its war against drugs,” he added.