ZCFD urges public to be conscious of fire safety PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 17 March 2014 11:06

The Zamboanga City Fire District (ZCFD) office has reiterated its call to the general public on the fire safety precautions or measures during the observance of Fire Prevention Month as several houses were burned since January to date this year due to either electrical short circuits or due to unattended lighted candles.

The call was made yesterday by ZCFD District Fire Marshal Supt. Dominador F. Zabala, Jr., who reported that a total of 28 fires including three bush fires have already been reported since January which brought some P2.609 million damage to properties.

Zabala said that some of the causes of fires were either electrical in nature or due to unattended lighted candles particularly those placed near windows with curtains or combustible materials.

Zabala added that all electrical works must be done by qualified electricians or electrical engineers and when buying or remodeling a home it should be inspected by a qualified electrician or engineer.

He also said that major appliances such as refrigerators, dryers, washers, electric stoves, air conditioners and others should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlets and extension cords and plug strips should not be used.

“Candles may also be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires – and home fire deaths and it can easily ignite anything that can burn,” Zabala said.

He advised residents to blow out candles when they leave the room, go elsewhere or go to bed to sleep.

Zabala further advised people never to leave a child alone in a room with a lighted candle citing the death of a 3-month old baby during a recent fire that razed a house in Guiwan.

“Quiere lang came dale abiso con el maga vivientes diaton aqui na ciudad que no olbida deha con el maga candela sindido si sale na casa,” Zabala, said in the vernacular.