City Hall earmarks P9-M for summer job program PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 20 March 2014 11:23

The city government through the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) has allocated a total of P9 million for the implementation of this year’s Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES, otherwise known as the summer job program in the city.

According to CSWDO Officer-in-Charge Evelyn Las Marias, a total of 2,589 student-beneficiaries in high school and college will be hired this year.

The student-beneficiaries will be divided into two groups of 1,318 and 1,271 student-hires, respectively, and each student-beneficiary will be compensated at a daily rate of P280.

Each batch would work for a total of 20 days. Work program will include barangay cleanliness and beautification, updating of barangay profile/census, simple clerical jobs in local government offices, janitorial activities, carpentry works, and other non-hazardous activities for students.

The first batch will report to work from April 10 to May 8, while the second batch will be on duty from May 10 to June 4. SPES is a joint undertaking of the local government unit and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

Under the SPES, the city government will pay 60% of the student-beneficiary’s daily wage while DOLE will shoulder the remaining 40%.

CSWDO has already started assessing applicants for the first batch, but will still accept applications for the second batch. Interested parties may submit their papers at CSWDO Pettit Barracks. — Claudine Uniana/City Hall PIO