Gas station owner’s son seized in fresh kidnapping PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 03 April 2014 11:16

Moro gunmen, suspected either Abu Sayyaf or members of the Nur Misuari’s Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) faction, abducted on Tuesday night the son of a gasoline station owner in Siocon town, Zamboanga del Norte

Michael Sta. Teresa Co, 27, was grabbed by gunmen who broke into their Petron gasoline station around 6 p.m., his uncle told Daily Zamboanga Times

The uncle who requested his name withheld said Michael was shot in the foot in the presence of his brother before he was dragged to a waiting Kia Sportage car.

He said the kidnappers’ car was found abandoned in Balili, a coastal village that is accessible to Sirawai town  where the MNLF holds a camp in the hinterland.

Siocon Mayor Julius Lobrigas quoted witnesses to have said the kidnappers blew up the car’s tires before transferring  Michael to a motorized canoe.

The kidnapping happened two days after a school principal, Benita Enriquez, was seized by suspected Abu Sayyaf gunmen in the island province of Basilan.

Observers view the latest round of kidnappings as a show of resistance by Moro rebels like the Nur Misuari faction and the Abu Sayyaf to the peace agreement the government has signed with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MNLF) on March 27.

The MNLF Nur Misuari faction opposed the March 27 peace deal as other MNLF leaders have urged the government to honor the peace agreement it signed with the MNLF in 1996.

On September 9 last year, some 500 MNLF armed followers of Misuari laid siege to five villages in Zamboanga City, which opposes inclusion in the Bangsamoro entity. The siege triggered a series of heavy fighting between the MNLF gunmen and government foces which lasted for three weeks. Some 300 MNLF attackers were killed, 200 others captured or surrendered. Government and civilian casualties were placed at 150.

After September 9, Misuari  went into hiding.