Beng urges summer job students to help build back better Zambo PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 09 May 2014 11:32

Mayor Beng Climaco yesterday urged the 1,271 mostly high school students under second batch of the city government’s summer job program to help build back a better Zamboanga.

“The future of Zamboanga City lies in your hands. Please do your very best for a brighter future and altogether let’s help build back a better Zamboanga,” Climaco told the orientation at the City Coliseum yesterday morning.

She said the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) better known as summer job program, now on its 9th year of implementation, is a God-given opportunity for the youths to learn the values of work at the same time help them pursue their education.

The briefing aims to acquaint beneficiaries with their duties and responsibilities under the program, a joint undertaking of the local government unit and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

For a period of 20 days, the students will help in the barangay cleanliness and beautification program, updating of barangay profile/census, simple clerical jobs in local government offices, janitorial activities, carpentry works, and other non-hazardous activities.

Students will be paid a daily wage of P280, 60% or P3,360 of which will subsidized by the city government while the remaining 40% or P2,240 will be paid by DOLE. Thus, students will each receive the total amount of P5,600 at the end of the program.

The second batch started yesterday, May 8 until June 5, while the first batch of 1,318 mostly college students started April 10 and will end on May 12.

This year, the city government has allocated P9.1M while DOLE allocated P5.5 million for the implementation of the SPES in Zamboanga. A total of 2,589 beneficiaries, high school and college students are deployed in the different barangays as well as city government offices. — Vic Larato