5 new human trafficking would-be victims rescued PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 09 May 2014 11:33

Government operatives, posted at the local wharf’s Passenger Assistance Center, intercepted on Monday five female would-be victims of human trafficking bound for Sandakan, Malaysia.

The Philippine Center on Transnational Crimes Western Mindanao Field Office  disclosed that four of the women came from Metro Manila and one from Antiquera, Bohol. They were aged 19 to 31 years old.

It was learned that the five would-be victims had been set to go to Sandakan, Malaysia as tourists but during an investigation, they could not present sufficient money for their travel expenses.

Investigation also revealed that the five were accompanied by a certain “Ate Jovy” who kept distance from them and was a frequent traveler who provided them with funds and tickets.

Moreover, it was found out that two of the five would-be victims had already gone to Malaysia to work as waitress but had ended up as prostitute.

One of the victims said when they were intercepted, Ate Jovy, their guide and financer, who kept distance from them, contacted and said that she saw them when the government operatives held them in the boat that was bound for Malaysia.

The five would-be victims were placed under the care of the Dept. of Social Welfare and Development 9. — Allen Abastillas