Kidnapped Malaysian fish farm exec freed PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 12 July 2014 11:51

A Malaysian fish farm manager was released on Wednesday Abu Sayyaf kidnappers after more than two months in captivity in Jolo island, Sulu province

A police intelligence officer, who requested anonymity as he was not authorized to talk to media, said   Yang Zai Lin, 34, was freed following a negotiations carried out by Malaysian negotiators

The police officer said the negotiators came to pick up Yang at a coastal village in the township of Patikul, Sulu and brought him to Sabah, Malaysia.

Another source said when Yang and the negotiators were sailing away from Patikul around 9 p.m. unidentified gunmen opened fire on them, but missed.

The source said the gunmen could be another Abu Sayyaf faction.

Yang arrived in Sandakan town, Sabah, Malaysia around 1 a.m. Thursday.

Wearing a brown round-necked T-shirt, Yang appeared thin and exhausted when he was reunited with his family in Sandakan. He had been in captivity for 63 days.

Yang then went to pay his last respects to Kee Kwok Edien, his employer, at the Duchess of Kent Hospital mortuary.

The 63-year-old Hong Kong-based businessman owned the Wonderful Terrace Fish Farm in Lahad Datu from where Yang was abducted by the gunmen on May 6.

Kee, who was negotiating for Yang’s release, was killed with three others in a taxi during an accident near Sandakan on July 5.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said Yang was flown from Sandakan to Kuala Lumpur Thursday afternoon.

He said arrangements would be made for Yang to return home to China.

Yang was abducted from Wonderful Terrace Fish Farm in Lahad Datu.Sabah on May 6.

Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman claimed no ransom was paid for Yang’s release.

Yang is only one of several other Malaysians victimized by Abu Sayyaf kidnappers, who took them to Jolo islanf.

Last month, a caged-fish breeding farm operator and his employee were kidnapped by two armed men on speedboat in Kampung Sapang, off Kunak.

In April, a Chinese tourist and a Filipina worker of an island resort off Semporna, Sabah  were seized by Abu Sayyaf gunmen. They were released a month later although the Malaysian government maintains that no ransom was paid.

A tourist from Taiwan was taken hostage from another resort island off Semporna by gunmen in October last year. They shot dead her husband. It was reported that an undisclosed ransom was paid before her release a month later. — Allen Abastillas