Filipino worker beheaded in Libya – DFA PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 22 July 2014 14:08

Unidentified militia men kidnapped and later on beheaded a Filipino worker last week in the Libyan city of Benghazi, prompting the Philippines to pull out its 13,000 workers in the North African state currently besieged by months of civil war.

Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said the incident poses risks to the security of foreigners, including Filipinos, in Libya, saying they are now considered as “high-value targets.”

Jose said armed men flagged down the vehicle carrying the Filipino and his Libyan and Pakistani co-workers at a checkpoint on July 15. The militia men seized the Filipino, who works for a construction company.

“He was allegedly singled out because he was non-Muslim,” Jose said, adding the kidnappers demanded a USD160,000 ransom from his employers.

After four days of negotiations, the Filipino’s employers received a call on July 20 from the kidnappers and “referred them to a Benghazi hospital,” where they found the decapitated body of their employee,” Jose said.

“The body was already in a state of advanced decomposition,” he said.

Manila has raised alert level 4 or mandatory evacuation of all Filipinos in Libya due to deteriorating security situation there.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 22 July 2014 14:19