Death toll in Maguindanao attack: 17 BIFF gunmen PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 23 July 2014 11:47

The Army’s 6th Infantry Division yesterdayhas identified five of the 17 Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) gunmen killed in a series of clashes with Army soldiers following their botched attempt to overrun outposts located in Datu Piang and Shariff Saydona Mustapha towns in Maguindanao Monday.

Also killed in the incident was one soldier. Wounded were three soldiers.

Col. Dickson Hermoso, 6th Infantry Division spokesperson, identified these men as Dris Salik; Mashu Ali; Nur Hassan, Mantawil Kaliga and one “City Hunter” and reportedly the right-hand man of Ameril Umbra Kato.

Efforts were also exerted to identify the other slain BIFF gunmen.

Hermoso said that they have recovered 10 bodies so far and are being assisted in this endeavor by barangay officials and Imams.

Earlier, BIFF attacked installations located at Barangay Dumablas, Datu Piang town and Barangay Ganta, Shariff Saydona Mustapha, both in Maguindanao.

Intense fighting broke out when the BIFF gunmen attacked the outpost in Sharif Saydona Mustapha town around 12:15 a.m.

This was followed by another attack in Datung Piang an hour later.

Return fire from government soldiers killed the 17 BIFF men, Hermoso said.