Celso secures funds for Blvd phases 2, 3 project PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 03 May 2011 16:37

The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has allocated a funding of P40 million in its 2011 budget for the expansion of the R.T. Lim Boulevard site development project which will cover the remaining 400 linear meters baywalk leading to the area fronting the City Council            building.
Mayor Celso Lobregat disclosed this following a meeting with DPWH Secretary Rogelio Singson in Manila last week. Also present in the meeting were District Engineer Merham Acas and DPWH regional officials.

Mayor Lboregat has been following up the matter since last year and an initial meeting was held September 2010 also in Manila when the first phase of the project was ongoing construction. The mayor sought for additional funding from the national government for the phases II and III of the project.

Last April 26, the city government unveiled the first phase of the site development project as part of the activities commemorating Dia de Ma’am Caling which marked the 90th birthday of the late Mayor Maria Clara Lobregat. The first phase was a partnership of the national government and the local government.

The national government through the initiative of House Deputy Speaker Beng Climaco funded the initial cost of P20 million for the pile driving, partial filling and shoreline protection while the city government came in for the site development including expansion and beautification of the road and sidewalk amounting to P8.6 million.

In the second and third phases of the project, the national government will also fund the initial work similar to what it did in the first phase while the local government will shoulder the expenses for the site development and beautification.

“Secretary Singson has committed that this will be done because we said that our funds are available and are ready for use in the site development and beautification”, the mayor said stressing that the city government cannot undertake site development if the national government will not initiate the initial work.

The national government is estimated to spend P40 million for the entire expansion project while the city government is set to shoulder the P20 million site development and beautification.

Mayor Lobregat said during the meeting last week, Sec. Singson has instructed Engr. Acas to prepare the plans and estimates for the R.T. Lim expansion project and to immediately submit the same to the DPWH.

Acas was expected to meet with Lobregat yesterday afternoon to show the plans and estimates prior to its submission to DPWH Manila.

The first phase of the R.T. Lim Boulevard site development project covering 200 linear meters is the newest destination of promenaders. The boulevard is one of the city’s most cherished landmarks. — Sheila Covarrubias