Lobregat meets 2nd batch of summer job students today PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 05 May 2011 13:00

Mayor Celso Lobregat will meet this morning the 1,492 students hired by the city government for summer jobs under the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) in coordination with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

Lobregat will address the summer job workers mostly college students composing the second batch of the program at the City Coliseum in Tetuan. They will work for 20 days from May 4 to 31.

The students will be assigned to cleanliness and beautification activities in the barangays, street sweeping, maintenance of parks and gardens, janitorial services, carpentry, clerical works and other related activities or office assignments.

Under the program, which is mandated by the national government through Republic Act 7363, summer job students will receive a daily salary of P172.72 each or P3,454 for 20 days.

Of the total amount, 60% or P103.63 will be paid by the city government, while DOLE will pay for the remaining 40% equivalent to P1,381.40.

City Social Welfare and Development Officer Francisco Barredo said Mayor Lobregat had allocated P9 million for this year’s SPES with a total of 3,186 students hired for the purpose.

The first batch of 1,550 mostly high school students started last April 12 until May 11.
Barredo said the program aims to instill among the students the value of work at the same time helps them earn money to pursue their education in the coming school year.

“The city has been able to assist thousands of indigent students to finish their studies through the SPES program. These students are now gainfully employed in various fields,” Barredo added. — Vic Larato