Celso exhorts summer job students to value their work PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 06 May 2011 16:25

Mayor Celso Lobregat yesterday exhorted the 1,492 mostly high school students to value their work under the summer job program of the city government, saying that he himself has once been a summer job worker during his teenage years.

“I worked in a pineapple plantation and I had to wake up early, but during our time summer job workers had no pay. You are lucky nowadays because you get paid by the government,” Lobregat told this year’s second batch of summer job students hired by the city government under the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES), now on its 17th year of implementation.

“In a way, my summer job experience had helped me become what I am today,” he said, explaining that aside from helping students earn extra income for their studies, the summer job program or SPES teaches the students the value of hard work at their prime years.

“You will be assigned in various tasks from cleanliness to janitorial and other manual labor, but bear in mind that behind these jobs are lessons to be learned that you can apply in the future,” the mayor said.

Early on, Lobregat led the students, barangay and other city employees gathered at the City Coliseum in Tetuan for the orientation in reciting the pledge of government workers in Chabacano titled “Juramiento de un Empleado de Gobierno,” which local government workers recite every Monday during flag ceremony.

“When you recite this pledge, make sure you mean in your heart every word you utter. If you do it, then you can be perfect government employees and perfect students,” he said.

Under the program, which is mandated by the national government through Republic Act 7363, summer job students will receive a daily salary of P172.72 each or P3,454 for 20 days.

Of this amount, 60% or P103.63 will be paid by the city government, while DOLE will pay for the remaining 40% equivalent to P1,381.40.

City Social Welfare and Development Officer Francisco Barredo said Mayor Lobregat had allocated P9 million for this year’s SPES with a total of 3,186 students hired for the purpose.

The first batch of 1,550 mostly college students started last April 12 until May 11. The second batch started yesterday, May 4, until May 31. — Vic Larato