P27.9M CDRRMO building unveiled PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 10 September 2014 13:13

In line with the city government’s continuing efforts at making it responsive and proactive in times of emergency, Mayor Beng Climaco on Monday inaugurated the newly constructed building for the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) in Barangay Zone 4, this city.

Undertaken by GHR Construction, the edifice cost the city government P27,858,511.15 and has a total land area of 1,132.86 sq.m. The project was initiated and funded during the incumbency of former mayor now District 1 Rep. Celso Lobregat.

As planned, the edifice will house the personnel, quick response team, rescue equipment and standby relief goods in case disasters, natural or man-made, hit the city. The CDRRMO, a creation of the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CDRRMC), is headed by Assistant City Administrator Elmeir Apolinario as officer-in-charge.

The office is tasked to implement the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Plan in a bid to mitigate the cruel effects of calamities and disasters and to enhance the survival capability of the people.

The inauguration of the building was one of the activities commemorating the one year anniversary of the Zamboanga siege, the worse man-made calamity ever to hit the city in recent history that resulted in a humanitarian crisis.

For 2014, the Zamboanga City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Fund stands at P113,347,887.10, of which 70% or P79,343,520.97 was allocated for preparedness and mitigation, while the remaining 30% or P34,004,366.13 was appropriated for quick response.

Meanwhile, the CDRRMC chaired by the mayor convened Monday and passed a resolution requesting additional funding for completion of CDRRMO building, construction of living quarters, acquisition of power generator sets, construction of comfort/shower rooms, purchase of rescue/response vehicle and funds for dredging of rivers, canals and waterways.— Vic Larato