2 suspected Abu bombers nabbed PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 26 September 2014 13:00

2,000 blasting caps seized

 

Two suspected bombers linked to the Abu Sayyaf Group were arrested at the local wharf after they tried to claim a box containing 2,000 blasting caps yesterday morning.

Arrested were Saud Arnado y Biri, 31, of Rio Hondo, and Almuksin Amilussin of Talon-Talon. They were arrested by military operatives and policemen.

Police said a certain Ambo from Jolo, Sulu sent a box on a vessel bound for Zamboanga City last Wednesday.

Security escorts and crew members of the vessel became suspicious of the box, so they decided to  check its contents and  found out that the box have 2,000 blasting caps inside.

When the vessel arrived at the local wharf yesterday, the boat’s security escorts coordinated with military personnel and policemen who waited for anybody to claim the box. Moments later, Arnado and Amilussin arrived and introduced themselves as the persons to whom the cargo was consigned. Quickly, the  security escorts of the vessel along with policemen and military personnel the duo and took them to the citypolice office.

Arnado told the police that the blasting caps were intended to be brought to Basilan. He refused to divulge information on the identities of the shipper and the consignee.

During investigation, police recovered from Amilussin’s possession a cellphone containing video clip of an ambush perpetrated by the Abu Sayyaf Group in Basilan.

The suspects were placed under police custody while the blasting caps were turned over to an investigator for documentation.

Police were still conducting hot pursuit operations in an effort to arrest the duo’s  other cohorts in this city.

Police suspect Arnado and Amilussin are linked to the Abu Sayyaf Group based in Basilan.

In a related development, a red alert is up in Sabah, Malaysia against Abu Sayyaf commander Isnilon Hapilon, following his declaration of support for the Islamic State (IS) movement, a Malaysian newspaper reported late Monday.

The red alert stemmed partly from a YouTube video of Isnilon, 48, who with masked men appeared on the video with the IS movement’s black flag in the opening scene, Malaysia’s The Star Online reported.

Citing intelligence sources, the Star Online report said the video had been posted as early as July but “gained momentum” on social media only last month.

It also cited sources who said pro-IS and jihadist websites in Bahasa Malaysia were being watched following this new development.

The report said Malaysian intelligence’s concern is that Isnilon and his men can travel into Sabah from their base.

Police Inspector-General Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said they will tighten security to prevent the spread of the IS movement in Malaysia.

“We are keeping close tabs on the development of such radical groups in neighboring countries. We will step up security along our borders to prevent any of these elements from slipping in,” he said.

“We will not allow extremists to gain a foothold in Malaysia,” he said, adding police were cooperating with their counterparts in other countries for intelligence gathering.

6-minute clip

Isnilon was in the six-minute clip, wearing a black gown and linking arms with his men, some of whom wore masks. They swore allegiance to IS and its head Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

The report said Isnilon appeared to have gained weight in the video, which sought support for the IS movement, especially in Southeast Asia.

After the video was a message from Jemaah Islamiah spritual leader Jemaah Ansharut Tauhid (JAT), Abu Bakar Baasyir calling on his followers to join IS.

Semporna raid

The report said Isnilon was linked to a raid on Pom Pom island in Semporna on Nov 15, 2013.

In that raid, Taiwanese citizen Chang An-Wei was kidnapped and her husband Hsu Lee Min was killed. Chang was taken to Sulu and released after negotiations. – Dan Toribio Jr. With GMA News report

Last Updated on Friday, 26 September 2014 13:02