Celso swears in 3rd batch of summer job students Print
Tuesday, 17 May 2011 17:13

Mayor Celso Lobregat swore in yesterday morning 36 college and high school students composing the third batch of this year’s summer job program of the city government, otherwise known as the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES).

This brings to 2,854 colleges and high school students hired by the city government for its summer job program this year pursuant to Republic Act 7363. The first batch of 1,372 collegiate students started April 12 to May 11, while the second batch of secondary students started May 4 to 31.

Just as the first and second batches, the third batch will work for 20 days starting yesterday including Saturdays and one Sunday in time for the opening of the school year on June 6.

The third batch of workers are assigned to Paseo del Mar, City Mayor’s Office, City General Services Office, Office of the City Environment and Natural Resources and the City Social Welfare and Development Office.

They are also entitled to a daily salary of P172.72 each or net pay of P3,454 for 20 days. Of this amount, 60% or P103.63 will be paid by the city government, while the remaining 40% or equivalent to P1,381.40 will be paid by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) thru its regional office 9 here.

To recall, Mayor Lobregat has exhorted this year’s summer job students to value the jobs assigned to them no matter how tasking they may be, saying that he himself has once been a product of summer jobs during his high school days.

“In a way, my summer job training or experience had helped me become what I am today,” Lobregat said, stressing that the SPES aims to help the poor but deserving students pursue their education by providing them temporary employment during summer vacation.

Present during yesterday’s oath-taking of the third batch at the City Hall Conference Room were City Social Welfare and Development Officer Francisco Barredo together with his staff and City Human Resource and Management Officer Erlina Sanchez. — Vic Larato