DOH detects 7 suspected MERSCov cases in Zambo PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 23 October 2014 12:05

The Department of Health (DOH) has strengthened the advocacy in a bid to prevent the entry and spread of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Corona Virus (MERSCoV) in the region.

DOH Regional Director Dr. Nimfa Torrizo said Wednesday they strengthened the advocacy as the pilgrims from the hajj start arriving from Saudi Arabia, where the first MERSCoV case was reported.

Torrizo said the advocacy encouraged the pilgrims or anyone who had traveled to the Middle East to submit themselves for medical examination should they show signs and symptoms of MERSCoV that includes fever and cough.

Torrizo disclosed that so far seven of the several pilgrims who arrived few days ago have manifested signs and symptoms MERSCoV disease.

However, the health official disclosed that three of the seven suspected cases turn out negative based on the laboratory analysis by the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM).

She said they are still waiting for the laboratory analysis results of the remaining four suspected MERSCoV cases.

She said two of the four are admitted at the hospital while the other two were on home quarantine.

The National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (NCMF) earlier informed the DOH that at least 3,000 pilgrims who are scheduled to arrive are from this city and from the nearby provinces of Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi.

Torrizo said they have strengthened the advocacy since the region has “so many entry points” from Manila, where initial examination is being held on arriving passengers from the Middle East.

She said the airports of Pagadian City in Zamboanga del Sur and in Dipolog City in Zamboanga del Norte and as far as Ozamiz City serve as the entry points of the region aside from the Zamboanga International Airport.

“We are in a geographic area that has so many entries,” she said in an interview at the sideline of the two-day 2014 Child Health Summit in this city. — TPG