3 Abus dead, 2 soldiers hurt in fresh Basilan clash PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 05 December 2014 13:53

Troops of the military’s Joint Task Group Basilan while conducting law enforcement operation encountered an undetermined number of ABu Sayyaf guerrillas under the combined groups of Furudji Indama and Nurhassan Jamiri in Tipo-Tipo, Basilan at 6:55 a.m. yesterday

As of press time, a firefight was ongoing with initial report of three Abu Sayyaf gunmen killed,  while govt government forces suffered 2 wounded.

Tipo-Tipo Mayor Tong Istarul told the Philippine Daily Inquirer phone that as of 11 a.m., the firefight was still ongoing near Al Barka.

He assured that no civilians have been affected so far by the fighting.

Governor Mujiv Hataman of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao said the soldiers were among the ground troops securing the Al Barka and Tipo-tipo road network.

The military recently deployed a large number of troops to Basilan following atrocities committed by the Abu Sayyaf there.

Hataman and other local officials have backed the massive military operation aimed at diminishing the bandit group’s capability to sow terror in the province.

Yesterday’s skirmish was the second armed engagement in Basilansince Nov. 2 when Abu Sayyaf guerrillas and government forces clashed leaving  six soldiers, including one junior Army officer, dead in Basilan

A team of soldiers from the 64th Infantry Battalion was on security patrol when they were caught in a firefight with about 20 heavily-armed militants led by a certain Radzmi Jannatul past 7a.m., said Lieutenant Colonel Harold Cabunoc, Armed Forces of the Philippines Public Affairs Office chief.

The gun battle lasted for 45 minutes.

The soldiers were deployed to secure a development project, Cabunoc added.