City forwards SP resolution on rice smuggling to Pnoy PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 10 December 2014 11:59

Mayor Beng Climaco has formally transmitted to President Noynoy Aquino the  City Council resolution calling for a full blown investigation on the rampant smuggling activities in the city.

The Council resolution was approved last week expressing concern over the supposed rampant rice smuggling activities involving allegedly some members of the police and media.

In the meantime, Mayor Climaco directed concerned agencies to toughen the campaign against the illegal activity.

“As the local chief executive, I am directing the PNP, Task Force Zamboanga, the Coastguard, the City government and all other units to be effective in our campaign against smuggling and to rid the city of rice smuggling and other illegal activities,” said Salazar in a press briefing in City Hall Monday.

Meanwhile, City Police Director Col. Angelito Casimiro, said monitoring of private wharves has intensified, as these are said to be the entry points for the smuggled items. “We are in the process of coordinating with the Sanggunian in the regulation of these private wharfs.”

He said moves are afoot for the City Council to come up with a legislation regulating the use of private wharves in the city.

The ZCPO is in the process of validating the list of wharves allegedly engaged in rice smuggling stressing that out of the 92 wharves and finger wharves, a number of them are not actually ports but mere “bukana” or river openings. — Ella Dee Phuddih Cruz-WMSU OJT/City Hall