PNP under ‘high alert’ for New Year’s Eve PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 02 January 2015 15:05

In line with the “safest holiday season” envisioned by Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, the Philippine National Police (PNP) has placed its 150,000-strong personnel force under high alert for New Year’s Eve.

Upon instructions from Police Deputy Director General (PDDG) and Officer-in-Charge Leonardo Espina, PNP has initiated a series of operations as early as December 16 in preparation for the holiday season, including increasing police presence in key places such as malls and terminals.

“Ito (safety) ang ating pamasko sa taumbayan (Safety is our Christmas gift to the people.),” Roxas previously told high-ranking officials of the PNP in a command conference.

The law prohibiting loose firearms (Republic Act No. 10591) will also be strictly enforced through OPLAN Bakal and OPLAN Sita to deter any untoward incidents involving stray bullets.

For its part, the PNP has already begun taping their firearms to prevent rogue personnel from using their firearms inappropriately.

Suspected retailers and owners of illegal firecrackers will be sanctioned pursuant to Republic Act No. 7138, which provides for the control and regulation of fireworks and other pyrotechnic devices.

As such, Roxas urged the public to celebrate the New Year “as safely and as peacefully as possible.”

Meanwhile, PDDG Espina has expressed the commitment of the national police force to enforce the law and ensure the public’s safety amid revelries.

“The PNP remains focused in doing its job in maintaining the peace and order situation in the country,” said Espina.