Soldier killed, 3 hurt in 2 BIFF attacks PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 04 January 2015 17:26

Moro insurgents opposed to the peace deal signed by the Philippine government and the Moro Islamic Liberation (MILF) on March 27 last year killed an army soldier and wounded three others in simultaneous attacks staged at dawn Friday on two miltary detachments in central  Mindanao.

Maj. Jo-ann Petinglay, spokesperson of the army’s 6th Infantry Division, said that an undetermined number of Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) simultaneously attacked two military detachments in the villages of Kulasi and Sumilalaoin  Maguindanao and Sultan Kudarat provinces  around 1a.m.

“Troops from the two detachments immediately returned fire on enemy positions. After an hour of firefight, enemy withdrew from the area,” Petinglay said.

She said that reinforcement from the army’s 62 Division Reconnaissance Company came moments later and evacuated the three wounded soldiers to a nearby hospital.

“The incident manifest that the BIFF will continually be as potent spoiler to peace in Central Mindanao. The 6th Infantry Division in coordination with the Philippine National Police will continue to work proactively in order to preempt plans of the lawless group which may cause disorder to the peaceful and developing communities of the region,” Petinglay said.

She said that the 6th Infantry Division leadership is calling on the community to be vigilant and to help locate the BIFF guerrillas hiding in hinterland villages.

Maj. Gen. Edmundo Pangilinan, commander of the 6th ID, assured residents of Maguindanao and Sultan Kudarat that government forces are on top of the situation and that they will continue securing communities in the two provinces which are both parts of extended Bangsamoro territory as agreed in the March 27 peace agreement.

Abu Sayyaf, another Moro extremist group opposing the peace deal, continues its banditry and harassments in the provinces of Sulu and Basilan.