Still no threat for Pope Francis visit — AFP PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 13 January 2015 11:41

With Pope Francis’ visit just two days away, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Monday said it is still to detect any security threats that would interrupt the Pontiff’s visit to the country.

“So far, we have no serious threat coming out of our radar screen,” said AFP spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla.

He said what they are more worried about is the crowd which could get a little out of hand once they see the Pontiff in the flesh.

Padilla said they also have prepared measures to deal with these contingencies.

And when questioned again, he said that security threats for the five-day Apostolic visit is still “zero”.

Padilla made this comment after noting even the New People’s Army (NPA) declared a truce with the military while the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) is off-balance as law enforcement operations are still ongoing in their bailiwicks in Sulu and Basilan.

However, despite this, he said they are making security provisions so that they will not be caught flat-footed by any surprises.

“There is always some degrees of capability remaining but we have made provision for that,” Padilla pointed out.

The AFP spokesman said they are still to detect any threats even from the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF).

“They (BIFF) are now focusing on their stand (argument) against the Bangsamoro Basic Law,” he added.

And with these developments, Padilla said they are praying that the five-day visit will conclude peacefully.

“We are praying (that) it become like that and the outcome will be peaceful and successful,” the AFP spokesman stressed.