Mayor Beng: no let-up in anti-smuggling advocacy PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 21 January 2015 17:41

Mayor Beng Climaco assured that there will be no let-up in her anti-smuggling advocacy, as she vowed to continue monitoring the progress of the investigation into the missing sugar and the recently intercepted smuggled rice in Sibugay now in the custody of the Bureau of Customs (BOC).

On Monday,  Task Force Zambasulta, an anti-smuggling group formed last week, intercepted in Zamboanga Sibugay a motorlaunch loaded with more or less    7,000 alleged smuggled rice. The seized items aboard the M/L Once a Princess, were brought to the local port for turnover to the BOC Monday.

Climaco said around 5:30 p.m Monday, a request for a representative from the city government was made to account the seized items from Sibugay. However, an hour after, the city representative said that accounting of the items has been postponed to Tuesday by Customs Collector Miguel Pio Saquisame.

“We are dismayed at the ineptness of the Bureau of Customs. Deputy Commissioner Dellosa assures rice will be secured. Basta ya usa con el ZC! Bureau of Customs we hold you accountable.” The mayor declared.

Climaco together with City Police Director Col. Angelito Casimiro inspected the seized items at the port prior to accounting Monday night and ordered Task Force Zamboanga Chief Col. Andrelino Colina not to release any of the sacks of rice.

A letter was sent to Customs Commissioner John Phillip Sevilla lamenting anew the slow response of the Bureau of Customs here.

The mayor also informed President Aquino about issues confronting the city’s anti -smuggling advocacy. — Sheila Covarrubias