Another bomb plot foiled in Isabela City PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 23 January 2015 11:47

Due to vigilance by a town municipal guard, anothe rbombing attempt was foiled on Wednesday in Isabela City.

Supt. Albert Larubis, Isabela City police chief, said Thursday an improvised explosive device (IED) was discovered around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at Zone3, Barangay Kaumpurnah.

Larubis said the IED, concealed in a plastic cooler and sealed with packaging tape, was placed under a foot bridge in front of the residence of Ayub Abdil and near the residence of Mayor Muctar Junaid of Tabuan Lasa.

Larubis said the IED was found by Hadji Aradji Jauhari, one of the Tabuan Lasa town’s municipal guards, who immediately reported it to the local police. Jauhari also owns a house in the area.

Larubis said they immediately sealed off the area and verification by the bomb-sniffing dog “revealed positive indication of an explosive material.”

He said the police and military explosive ordnance demolition personnel rendered safe procedure twice as the first disruption did not fully disarm the IED.

He said investigation showed the IED is powerful since its main charge consisted of 60-milimeter (mm) and 81-mm mortar ammunition.

He said the other components of the IED were four bottles of Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil (ANFO) explosive mixtures, one booster explosive, several pieces of one-inch concrete nails, stranded electrical wires and a radio transceiver as the triggering device.

He said investigation continues in a bid to identify the people behind the bombing attempt.

Larubis said they have tightened security in coordination with the military forces to thwart bombing attempts in this city.

Late last year at least three bombing attempts were foiled in Isabela City.  One of them was directed at a gasoline station.

But other bombs planted by suspected Abu Sayyaf urban units went off last October and causing no casualties.

One of the bombs went off at the entrance gate of the staff house of Cargill Oil Mill, Philippines, along Valderoza St. in Barangay Sunrise, Isabela City.

The second blast occurred in Barangay La Piedad, and a third IED was later disrupted by army soldiers.