Kidnappers free Korean 2 weeks after abduction of another Korean PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 05 February 2015 13:40

A South Korean mining firm executive was released Tuesday night, 15 days after he was seized in Marawi City, police said Wednesday.

Senior Inspector John Condo, police chief in the township of Saguiaran, Lanao del Sur province said that Korean Song Ki Eon was found wandering by villagers in a remote village of Saguiaran at past 11 p.m.

“Residents informed us they found what looked like a Chinese or a Korean wandering in the village who sought help, so we sent troops,” Condo told DXMS Radyo Bida Wednesday.

“He was so tensed and stressed and he refused to talk, he was very silent,” Condo said.

Condo said the Korean was reunited with his family in Iligan City at past 12 midnight after he was handed over to the local Philippine National Police Anti-Kidnap Group.

“We do not know if ransom was paid, in the first place, we did not know if there was ransom demand,” he said, adding that as far as the police are concerned it was a case of missing person.

Condo recalled that the Cagayan de Oro City-based Korean mining firm executive was supposed to meet prospective mining business partners in Iligan City on January 19. He was accompanied by his personal body guard Police Officer 2 Roel Billiardo.

Billiardo told Condo the Korean, who was behind the wheel of a black Toyota Innova, was talking to a person on his mobile phone. He later decided to proceed to Marawi City as the persons he was talking to have wanted.

Billiardo recalled he told the Korean not to proceed to Marawi because the area was dangerous for foreigners. Song Ki Eon ignored him.

In Saguiaran, they were met by three persons who boarded the car.

“It appeared the Korean and the three suspects knew one another very well,” Condo said.

Somewhere in Marawi City, the suspects forced the Korean to transfer to a Toyota Tamaraw FX while Billiardo was handcuffed aboard another car.

Song’s release came two weeks after another Korean national engaged in gold mining business was seized by suspected Abu Sayyaf gunmen in the township of RT Lim, Zamboanga Sibugay province.

Noui Sung Hong,72, and other members of hisfamily were inside their rented house at past 9 p.m. when gunmen arrived and handcuffed them.

The kidnappers dragged the 72-year old Korean, his wife Nwiseong Lee, son Gobui Hong,42, two other Koreans Gesouk Park and Kim Joeng Beom, to a getaway van that sped towards Ipil.

However Hong’s wife, their son and the two other Koreans managed to escape while the vehicle was in motion.

Gobui was injured in the body after he fell from the getaway van and rolled several few meters away

Gobui was still in handcuffs when he returned home.

The getaway van was left and burned by the kidnappers in another village of RT Lim,

Another Korean engaged in retail business freed last November more than a month he was seized in the township of Kabasalan, Zamboanga Zamboanga Sibugay province.

Li Pei Zhei, 25,  was turned over to police in Zamboanga.

There was no news of any ransom being paid. Whereas kidnappers have claimed that large amounts of cash have exchanged hands for victims, the Philippines’ government has denied any such activity.

Li Pei Zhei was seized September 11 - one week after the Korean Embassy had thanked the Philippines police force for the arrest of four suspects in the kidnapping of a Korean student in March.

The United Korean Community Association in the Philippines had been raising funds to help police investigate crimes committed against Korean nationals in the country.