Zambo placed under heightened fire alert PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 17 March 2015 11:46

Personnel of the Zamboanga City District Central Fire Station are on heightened alert for incidents as the city is currently experiencing a long dry spell or drought, especially at this time of the year when summer months have already set in.

City Fire Marshall Dominador Zabala said fire prevention personnel are always on standby 24/7, ready to respond to any fire calls, whether or not they are pranks, or actual structural fire incidents or fire bushes, resulting from the dry spell, accidents or due to negligence.

“Our station would like to appeal to the public to avoid or stop burning bonfires or dried grasses as this will cause or ignite unwarranted fire incidents in the city, especially during these summer months,” Zabala said during the weekly press briefing with Mayor Beng Climaco in City Hall yesterday morning.

“Let us all take precautions even as the nation observes the Fire Prevention Month this March. We also appeal to the barangay officials to help us in this concern,” the city fire Marshall further said although he added that this year’s month-long observance has less structural fire incidents compared to the previous years.

As of this date, Zabala reported that the central fire station had recorded and responded to only six fire incidents compared to 15 incidents last year.

He attributed this month’s less fire incidents to the continuous aggressive fire safety awareness, information and educational campaigns being conducted by fire prevention personnel of all fire stations and sub-fire stations in different barangays of the city, both in the east and west coasts, including private and public schools, universities and other institutions.

Nonetheless, Zabala said the fire situation in the city remains manageable with only 25 actual structural fire incidents with an estimated P1.7-million damage to properties since January, and most of the incidents were not serious enough to cause unwarranted alarm.

Meanwhile, Zabala reported that a total of 21 bush fires were recorded and responded to by fire personnel since January of this year.

For the same period last year, he said there were 18 bush fires reported, and he attributed the slight increase to the current dry spell the city is experiencing.

“We keep on reminding the people of this city to stop indiscriminate burning of bonfires and dried bushes to prevent fire incidents that may affect the lives and properties in their areas,” Zabala asserted. — Vic Larato