Missing Chinese from cargo ship found dead PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 21 April 2015 14:05

Police confirmed yesterday that the Chinese crew member of a cargo ship who went missing after a mysterious bloody incident aboard the said vessel was found dead off Tawi-Tawi last April 14.

Two other crew members of M/V Qinf May had been stabbed dead, while a third was wounded and taken to a hospital in Zamboanga City for treatment.

In the regular weekly press briefing at City Hall yesterday, Supt. Felix Martinez, chief of the City Police Office’s Special Investigation Unit, disclosed that Elvin Jalimuddin, a seaweed farmer and fisherman of Barangay Darul Akram in Languyan, Tawi-Tawi found around 2 p.m. the body of Wu Xiangyong, the mess boy of M/V Qinf May, floating and in a state of decomposition.

Martinez said that Xiangyong was clad in white long sleeves, black pants and black shoes. He was identified through his identification card.

Xiangyong was buried in Languyan island after an ocular investigation.

However Martinez said he and his team will go to Tawi-Tawi anytime this week to continue their investigation.

Martinez told DZT that they will get information from the first responder who found the body  to determine whether the Chinese sailor sustained injuries in his body.

Moreover,Martinez and his men will request for exhumation of the body for the purpose of autopsy to determine the cause of his death.

Meanwhile, Martinez also confirmed that the cargo ship carrying the bodies of Xie Zhicao, 28, fourth engineer and Zhang Wenju, 35, chief cook, has already arrived in China.

The wounded crew Liao Shiguo, 49, is still confined in a local hospital.

Martinez added that up to the present they were not able to get exact information as to how the violent incident happened and who were behind the knife attacks as no one from the more 20 crew members  were willing to talk to  them including the wounded crew in the hospital.

Martinez said that after their investigation, they will submit all the necessary documents to authorities in China for the filing of charges in court in that country.

The violent incident erupted aboard the ship while it was navigating the Sulu sea on April 11 around 11 a.m.

The incident was responded by authorities in Zamboanga City. — Dan Toribio