Kidnapped retired marine freed in Sulu PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 12 May 2015 15:29

A retired marine who was kidnapped last month was released by the Abu Sayyaf Group in Sulu, a top military official announced Monday.

Released was MSgt. (ret.) Renato Fernandez, 55, a resident of Barangay Simbahan, Pangutaran, Sulu.

Col. Alan Arrojado, Joint Task Group Sulu commander, said Abu Sayyaf militants released Fernandez around 10:20 p.m. Sunday in Indanan town.

Arrojado said Fernandez was immediately taken to the Trauma Station Hospital at Camp Bautista in Jolo, the capital of Sulu, for medical check-up.

Arrojado said Fernandez was under debriefing after the medical check-up.

The soldier was abducted on April 6 off Patukunan Island, Panglima Tahil municipality, Sulu.

Fernandez was operating his watercraft, M/L RJ Express, ferrying passengers from Jolo to Pangutaran when seized by seven Abu Sayyaf militants disguised as passengers.

The militants,at gunpoint, transferred Fernandez to one of two motorized bancas that tailed his watercraft and sped towards mainland Sulu.

Fernandez, after retiring from the military service, have settled in Sulu since his wife is from the province.