Celso: ‘The fight on BBL goes on’ PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 25 May 2015 08:51

By Jubels Santos

“What happened at the [Ad Hoc] Committee level was just the first round. The fight is not over.”

Thus declared District 1 Congressman Celso Lobregat after his numerous proposals to amend provisions in the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law to make it acceptable to the residents of Zamboanga and Mindanao were disapproved by the majority members of the Ad Hoc Committee last week.

Lobregat said all proposals that he submitted during the line by line voting on the proposed BBL were based on the Constitution, law, principles, logic, reason and protecting the interest of Zamboanga and Mindanao. “The fight is not yet over because what we proposed and not accepted by the [Ad Hoc] committee will be brought to the plenary.”

The Ad Hoc Committee chaired by Cagayan de Oro Congressman Rufus Rodriguez approved the proposed BBL without much revisions last Wednesday, May 20 after a 3-day deliberation that started May 18. The proposal has been referred to the House Committees on Ways and Means and Appropriation for possible submission to the floor early this week.

Lobregat submitted over 150 proposals to amend various provisions of the proposed BBL but the majority thumbed down all the recommendations. Consistently supporting Lobregat were fellow Zamboanga solon Lilia Nuno of District II and Zamboanga del Sur Representatives Aurora Cerilles and Victor Yu and a few others.

The solon said he will persist on his proposed amendments when the proposed law will be discussed in the plenary in the House of Representatives. He declared his support to the government’s peace efforts but emphasized “I am for peace but I am not for appeasement at the expense of the Republic.”

“Let us ask the help of Nuestra Senora la Virgen del Pilar to open the minds of all our colleagues,” Congressman Lobregat added. — Jubels Santos