DepEd reminds schools on ‘no collection’ policy PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 26 May 2015 09:17

By Jasmine Mohammadsali

The city schools division of the Department of Education emphasized anew its prevailing “no collection” policy in line with the enrollments for the forthcoming opening of school year 2015-2016 this June.

Dr. Rosalio Conturno Jr., Chief Education Supervisor and Schools Division OIC, Monday morning enjoined all school authorities to comply with the Department of Education’s standing policy guidelines of no collection during enrollment.

“They are not allowed to collect anything,” reiterated Conturno.

He added that schools can only begin collections of school fees authorized by the Department of Education on August, and even then, collections and fees remain purely voluntary, not compulsory.

The no collection policy is based on DepEd Order 41 series of 2012 issued by Education Secretary Br. Armin Luistro.

The order states that no fees shall be collected from school children in kindergarten up to Grade 4 anytime during school year. For Grade 5 pupils up to fourth year high school students, there will be no collection from June to July.

Fees which are authorized but not compulsory include Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts membership fees, Philippine National Red Cross, Anti-TB fund, school publication fee, and Parents Teachers Association fee.

Enrollment for the school year officially began last week and is expected to continue until Friday this week in time for the opening of classes slated for June 1.

Conturno said the Division Office will be setting up hotlines and help desk as part of its Oplan Balik Eskwela 2015 to facilitate the smooth resumption of classes next month.

Oplan Balik Eskwela, an annual initiative of the Department of Education, aims to address issues and challenges commonly encountered in the start of the school year and to ensure the proper enrollment of all students in their respective schools.

Meanwhile, Mayor Beng Climaco yesterday afternoon convened a meeting to finalize the City’s preparation for the school openings, including firming up the groundwork for traffic schemes, security plans, and health and sanitation.

Both Conturno and the City Mayor also appealed to the barangays and other force multipliers in the grassroots to help monitor their areas of responsibility to ensure the safety of students and teachers alike.

In a related development, DepEd expects an increase of more than 6,000 students in enrollment in local public schools for school year 2015-2016.

Dr. Conturno said they expect the number of students to climb to 206,968 from last school year’s 200,940 or an increase of 6,028 students.

Conturno said that 152,568 of the total projected number of students will enroll in grade school (Grades I-VI) including kindergarten and 54,400 in high school or from Grade VII to Junior high school (Grade XI).

He said that 148,124 of the 200,940 students last year enrolled in grade school, and the remaining 52,816 in high school.

He said they are ready to accommodate all the students to be enrolled this year once classes open on June 1.

“DepEd is ready to accommodate all our registered enrollees,” he added, citing they have instituted measures to address problem of classrooms shortage.

This city has 171 public elementary schools and 37 high schools.

Conturno said they have at present 3,524 grade school teachers, and 1,810 teachers for high school.

He said there will be additional items for teaching staffs to overcome the problem on shortage of teachers.

He said the student-book ratio from kindergarten to Grade IV is already one-is-to-one. There will be sharing of books for students from Grade V-IV.  — Jasmine Mohammadsali with RGAAG