SPES 1st batch beneficiaries get salaries PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 01 June 2015 08:33

Mayor Beng Climaco spearheaded the ceremonial distribution of salaries of students hired under the first batch of the Summer Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) last Thursday, May 28 in time for the enrolment period this week.

The ceremonial distribution held at the City Hall conference room involved five barangays – Tolosa, Calabasa, Lumbangan, Malagutay and Dulian with a total of 48 college students who worked under the SPES 1st batch from April 10- May 8 with a total of 1,362 beneficiaries. The event marked the start of the release of salaries to remaining beneficiaries under the same batch at the City Treasurer’s Office.

The salary released by the City Government amounts to P3,360.00 per beneficiary equivalent to 60 percent of the total compensation for the 20-day work. The remaining 40 percent amounting to P2,240.00 will be paid by the Department of Labor and Employment in the form of vouchers addressed to schools where the beneficiary will enroll.

The second batch composed of 1,308 mostly high school students started SPES program April 13 and will end June 2.

Assisting the mayor during the ceremonial distribution of salaries were Assistant City Social Welfare Officer Leonida Bayan, the barangay chairmen of the barangays concerned and personnel from the City Treasurer’s Office.

Mayor Beng Climaco encouraged the students to value the financial incentive that they received and to use it in worthwhile expenses most especially for their educational needs.

The SPES is a nationwide program jointly undertaken by the City Government and the DOLE at 60-40% sharing for the purpose of providing employment to poor but deserving students during Summer and Christmas. — Sheila Covarrubias