Heavy rains batter Zambo, Beng wants zero casualties PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 30 June 2015 13:32

by VIC LARATO

 

Mayor Beng Climaco yesterday alerted barangay officials on the stormy weather the city has been experiencing since weekend and ordered them to quickly respond to any and all emergency situations to ensure zero casualty.

Speaking at her weekly press bring in City Hall yesterday morning, Mayor Climaco said the barangay officials had on several occasions been trained on disaster risk reduction management and more or less they already know what to do in times of emergency.

“The bottom line is zero casualty in every emergency situation,” Climaco ordered, stressing further that in times of disaster the barangay officials have already been instructed on how exactly to use and mobilize their calamity funds and other resources.

But, more than anything else, the chief executive appealed to the residents in low laying areas and riverbanks to already evacuate to safer grounds when heavy rains continue to inundate the city.

“Do not anymore wait for the flood to come. Seek higher grounds for safety and always ready with emergency kit containing the basic needs,” Climaco appealed.

Stormy weather spawned by the inter-tropical convergence zone (ITCZ) hit the city since last week, prompting the mayor to immediately issue a weather alert, putting on standby the City Disaster Risk Reduction Office and other agencies responsible for emergency response.

She said the barangay officials and volunteers are the front liners in times of disaster and as such they should be the first responders to ensure safety of the lives and properties. — Vic Larato