City roughly spends P100M for recovery PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 16 September 2015 14:12

by Vic Larato

The city government has spent roughly P100 million since the early days of the Zamboanga siege in September 2013 onwards to the recovery efforts, two years after the infamy.

Mayor Beng Climaco reported this during the press briefing Monday, saying that the P100 million total expenditures already includes the P50 million bridging funds from the national government and the P29 million from various donors.

She said the expenses included food for the crisis management council members who closely monitored the siege as it unfolded from Sept. 9, 2013 up to the early recovery period.

The biggest bulk of the expenses, however, went to the payment of water and electricity consumption in various evacuation centers to include the grandstand and the transitory sites.

Climaco, who is currently leading an 82-man trade mission to China, also said the total expenses do not cover the projects under the Zamboanga City Roadmap to Rehabilitation and Reconstruction (Z3R) as these were funded by the P3.5 billion from the national government as committed by Pres. Aquino himself.

Anchored on the build back better scheme, the Z3R projects include the construction of more or less 6,000 permanent houses units for the internally displaced persons (IDPs) from the areas severely destroyed by fires and bullets at the height of the attack by the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) fighters loyal to Nur Misuari.

In last week’s “A Day of Remembrance,” honouring the fallen heroes and victims of the siege, two years after, the chief executive assured that the city was slowly but surely rebuilding communities, much stronger and better than they were before the MNLF attack on Zamboanga.

She said two years after the siege the city has yet a long way to full recovery, citing the many difficulties and challenges that came along the way.

Nonetheless, she thanked and even praised the different United Nations organizations that responded to the Zamboanga crisis and stayed here up to the present, continuously providing various forms of assistance and services to the IDPs.

“We are forever grateful to our UN partners and we always thank God for saving us. Let us continue to pray for peace in the city,” Climaco said last Sept. 9, marking the second year of the siege. — Vic Larato