Official says 7 Filipino Muslims pass away during Hajj PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 27 September 2015 14:18

Seven Filipino Muslims have died during this year’s Hajj pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia, one of them in a stampede that killed more than 750 people.

Dr. Abdulnasser P. Masorong Jr. of the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos told GMA News on Saturday that the other six Filipino pilgrims – the youngest of whom was aged 49 – had died of health complications including heart problems, liver cirrhosis, liver cancer and severe pneumonia.

Masorong said one of the pilgrims had suffered a heart attack on board a flight headed to the Muslim holy city of Mecca.

The Department of Foreign Affairs had earlier confirmed that a national had been among those killed in a stampede Thursday in Mina, around 5 kilometers (3 miles) east of Mecca, shortly after pilgrims performed the ritual “stoning of the devil” at Jamarat. At least 800 other pilgrims were injured.

“The Philippine Consulate General in Jeddah has confirmed that one local Filipino pilgrim died in the stampede in Mecca,” Foreign Affairs spokesperson Charles Jose told GMA News. “The personal circumstances of the victim are being withheld on the request of the family.”

Masorong said the seven Filipinos have been buried in Mecca according to the Islamic tradition that the dead be buried within 24 hours.

According to Philippine officials in Saudi Arabia, more than 8,000 Filipinos took part in this year’s Hajj — which Saudi figures indicate was joined by some 2 million Muslims from around the world.

Muslims comprise 11 percent of the Philippines’ population of 100 million, with most coming from the archipelago’s south.