Parents probed on baby’s boiled water deadly bath PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 04 October 2015 15:06

By Dan Toribio Jr.


Police are looking into a possible case of negligence against the parents of a one year and six months old baby girl who died after she was accidentally doused  with boiled water in Mercedes.

Sr. Insp. Elmer Solon, Culianan Police Station chief, told DZT that the incident took place around 4 p.m. on September 27 at the residence of couple Jorelle and Suzeth Carpio at Calle Socorro, Mercedes.

Initial investigation disclosed that while Jorrele and Suzeth were preparing “pastil”, a native pastry with rice noodle filling which is the family’s means of livelihood, their innocent daughter Febie Lhei moved around the house unattended and approached a kettle filled with boiled water. When she got hold of the kettle, it fell and emptied its content on the girl.

Febie Lhei sustained burns in the body and was rushed to the hospital. However from the time of incident until the girl died in the hospital three days later, the parents did not report the incident to the police.

Policemen led by Solon proceeded to a funeral parlor where the girl’s body was taken only last Friday after a concerned resident of Mercedes reported it to the authorities.

Police said that the girl’s parents tried cover up the incident.

Solon said that if evidences would show that the incident happened due to the parents’ negligence, they will recommend to the city proscutor office a case of reckless imprudence resulting to homicide.

In another incident, residents of Sitio Punta, Barangay Mangusu recovered the body of a fishpond owner last Thursday afternoon.

Police identified the dead man as Arias Claro y Torme, 64, married, of Calle Posporo, Vitali and operator of  a fishpond in Barangay Limaong.

Claro’s wife told the police that her husband left home on September 29 to go to their fishpond in Limaong. He failed to return.

Around 4 p.m. Claro’s body was seen along the shoreline of Sitio Punta, Mangusu.

Police said that Claro died due to drowning while he was navigating in the sea.

However police were still investigating the incident to find out if there was foul play on death of Claro. — Dan Toribio Jr.