Zambo ramps up security for APEC PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 13 November 2015 13:14

By VIC LARATO

Police and military forces have hardened security measures in Zamboanga City in preparation for the country’s hosting of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit 2015 next week in Metro Manila.

City police director Sr. Supt. Angelito Casimiro said personnel of the Regional Public Safety Battalion (RPSB) had to undergo periodic training last Saturday as part of the security preparations for the APEC Forum that will bring world leaders to Manila.

He said the training was conducted at Abong-Abong Freedom Park, where RPSB personnel were taught the proper way of handling bombs and other explosives, using the bomb suit.

“We are hardening the city’s security by doing the periodic training in preparation for the APEC on Sept. 17-19,” Casimiro said during the press briefing Monday in City Hall, where he explained the incident that caused panic among residents in Abong-Abong.

He said the explosive that caused panic among Abong-Abong residents belonged to the RPSB.

This developed as the Philippine National Police (PNP) has finalized the security measures for delegates of the APEC Leaders’ Summit next week, placing the entire country under high alert status to prevent APEC spoilers in the countryside.

The PNP said security preparations started late last year, and are now in full swing approaching the APEC economic leaders’ meeting on Nov. 18 and 19.

The APEC expects more than 7,200 delegates and government leaders from participating countries, including US Pres. Barack Obama, Russian Pres. Vladimir Putin, Chinese President Xi Jinping.— Vic Larato