AFP: Indonesian bomb maker among 8 killed in SK clash PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 29 November 2015 14:31

The military on Saturday confirmed that one of the eight ISIS supporters killed in clash with marines on Thursday in Sultan Kudarat was an Indonesian national, said to be an expert bomb maker.

Major Gen. Edmundo Pangilinan, commander of the Army’s 6th Infantry Division, identified the Indonesian as Ibrahim Ali, alias Hudzaifa, a senior member of the Mujahideen Indonesian Timur (MIT) and has been training Muslim rebels on bomb making in Palimbang town, Sultan Kudarat province.

Pangilinan said Ibrahim Ali  was first arrested in Zamboanga City for illegal possession of firearms in 2005 but  was released from detention in 2013 because the case filed against him was weak.

Brig. Gen. Emmanuel Salamat, 1st Marine Brigade commander, said in a separate statement that Ali was killed in a dawn encounter with soldiers of the 6th Marine Battalion Landing Team Thursday in the village of Butril, Palimbang town , Sultan Kudarat.

Seven other ISIS supporters were killed in the almost four-hour gunbattle.

Salamat said that marines and police investigators of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group and local policemen came to Butril village to serve warrants of arrest on Mohammad Jaafar Sabiwang Maguid alias Commander Tokboy when they were met by gunfire which triggered a running gunbattle.

When the firefight stopped, eight bodies were found scattered in an encampment, including that of Ibrahim Ali.

Salamat said Commander Tokboy managed to escape.

He said Ibrahim Ali had since been monitored to be with Commander Tokboy after his release, teaching him the mechanics of bomb making.

The government troops found one cal. 50 sniper rifle, 20 rounds of ammunition for cal. 50, an M-16 Armalite rifle, a cal. 45 pistol, bomb making materials, ATM cards, Philhealth cards and six Daesh flags.

Pangilinan said Commander Tokboy has four standing warrants of arrest and was involved in a series of “atrocities and violence” in the South Cotabato area  since August 2008.

He was previously apprehended in 2009 by security forces at Maasim town, Sarangani Province, but managed to escape from jail. He had been a fugitive for five years and has since then engaged in criminal activities like cattle rustling, extortion, highway robbery and murders.

Salamat said some 50 families have fled the village of Butril but the local governments and the Marines have attended to their needs.