DOH calls on LGUs to ban sale, use of firecrackers PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 27 December 2015 16:02

The local government units (LGUs) in the region had been urged to ban the sale and use of firecrackers to ensure zero firecracker-related incidents in their respective localities.

Dr. Joshua Brilliantes, Department of Health (DOH) assistant regional director, made the call as they team-up with the Department of Education (DepEd), police and fire bureau on its 2015 anti-firecracker campaign.

Brilliantes said they will focus on encouraging the public to use alternative ways in welcoming the New Year to eliminate if not lessen firecracker-related injuries.

“The public is encouraged to use safe merry-making instruments and alternative noise-makers such as ‘torotot’ (party horns) or by playing loud music instead of exploding firecrackers,” Brilliantes said.

He said the DOH regional office final report on the fireworks-related injury surveillance recorded zero death and 16 cases in 2014, which is 100 percent higher compared to 2013 with only eight cases of firecracker-related injury.

He said 40 percent of the firecracker-related injuries in 2014 were caused by piccolo.

He said firecracker-related injury can be brought down to zero if and when the LGUs will ban the sale and use of firecrackers in their localities.

Brilliantes is happy to note that this city has enacted an ordinance in 2014 banning the sale and use of firecrackers.

This year’s anti-firecracker campaign of DOH is anchored on the theme: “Sa Ingay Walang Sablay, sa Paputok Goodbye Kamay.”