CSWDO checks reported prostitution in Masepla PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 20 January 2016 14:17

By SHEILA COVARRUBIAS

The City Social Welfare and Development Office is validating the report on alleged prostitution incidences at the Masepla transitory site as headlined in a national television Monday night.

City Social Welfare and Development Officer Socorro Rojas said the local government in coordination with the United Nations Children’s Fund has been providing interventions such as programs strengthening child protection in Masepla, Buggoc and Taluksangay.

A national television last Monday alleged that prostitution through the so-called “tira beynte” is rampant in transitory sites involving young women and young adults who were affected by the 2013 siege.

Rojas said such cases happened last year but these were successfully eradicated through various interventions. She said the women found to be involved in the flesh trade were not from Masepla transitory site.

“We are validating reports of women who allegedly came from Manila and are now at the transitory site,” Rojas said.

The alleged “tira beynte” modus is the selling of flesh for as low as P20.00.

Rojas said the local government in partnership with the UN and national agencies is doing its utmost best to provide the necessary basic services as well as undertake initiatives to ensure the protection and welfare of all internally displaced persons in all transitory sites. — Sheila Covarrubias